12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 12:46 AM by rickark

The High Performance HMI Handbook

wpurrer

Has anyone read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Performance-HMI-Handbook/dp/0977896919

it would be very cool and usefool to have these  capablities in Processbook or Coresight

• Re: The High Performance HMI Handbook
          ldieffenbach

Not currently able to get my hands on this book, but here's what I read about it (from the Amazon description):

The problems with many current HMIs evolved with the technology. Good practices were developed for panel boards. The same practices were applied to DCS displays, with controller groups and process lines in different colors replicating panel or P&IDs. Some systems offer 3D shapes, animated motors, and dancing flames. The authors highlight these as examples of bad practices. An airplane HMI is given as an example of what is possible in an HMI. Some of the characteristics of a high performance are listed, including good navigation, display hierarchy and limited use of color.

The first step, of the authors seven step process, is to adopt an HMI philosophy that documents the design principles and a style guide with the implementation details for a specific control system. The authors rail against the use of P&ID like representations of the process in displays and the use of too many numbers and too few trends. Indicator bars and profile lines are recommended. The practice of mostly gray scale graphics is one that often generates resistance. The authors provide many specific recommendations for displays. They also provide specific examples of the level 1 through level 4 displays in their recommended hierarchy, which is essential to the high performance HMI. The second step is to assess and benchmark the existing graphics against the philosophy.

The next two steps are to determine specific performance objectives for the control of the process and to perform task analyses to identify the control actions needed to achieve the objectives. This information is used in step 5, the design and implementation of the displays, using the philosophy and style guide. Step 6 is to commission the displays and complete training. The final step is to continue to reassess and maintain the HMI performance. Beyond this process, the authors provide guidance on control room design and the layout for the operator consoles. The goal of the well designed HMI is to increase the operator's situational awareness.

The book is well designed for the subject, with many color illustrations to show the do's and don'ts of displays.

**This text leads me to assume the book is more about how to choose colors (or not) and how to design displays, rather than about features of the software used to build them. So, I'm wondering how that would apply to the design of either PI ProcessBook or PI Coresight as they exist today.***

Laurie

wpurrer

It's also about how controls and displays should look like to provide as much value to the users:

I found one presentation, which is based on the mentioned book:

www.houstonisa.org/.../201012_Presentation.pdf

• i like the display on slide 15:

=> which is primarly based on  Star Trek  ... google => star+trek+sickbay

which proofs a very good point, what's good that you can easily identify if a patient is ok is also valid for a process

• compare slide 19 to 20

slide 20 is also a big part how processbooks displays looks like .. maybe slide 19 would be better and easier for the staff to identify issues, try to create though a display (19) with processbook

It's also where my management challenges me ... can we create displays like this with osisoft.

wpurrer

I found another presentation .. rockwell

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/events/automationfair/special/get/psug/2011/afpsug11_ed09.pdf

page 43 i really like

just google high performance hmi .... you will find a couple of links to this topic.

ldieffenbach

Hi all,

Wolfgang has provided some nice links to meaningful guidelines above. I started to try and reproduce some of the examples from the first presentation in PI ProcessBook (not spending a great deal of time). It's true that we don't have all the same types of presentation shown in the example (slide 19, as Wolfgang points out), but I was able to reproduce the general approach.

3348.HMI-Example_2D00_Partial.PNG

The original from the presentation is much more involved....

6747.HMIDesign_2D00_good-example.PNG

However, I would assert that you could create a similar display in PI ProcessBook (we don't have gauges that have arrow pointers or "zones", but you can simulate the boundary conditions in other ways).

What do others think?

Regards,

Laurie

wpurrer

That was the easy part,  Interesting would be the kind of bar charts below.

where you can see the limits, the past,... in one item..

I think ProcessBook has every capability to produce High Performance HMIs, it is an extensible display authoring tool.  The key to success with it is defining standards for how you use the application, and with some customisation - you will never have an application that caters for all needs across industries in one version without customisation.

I skipped my tea break just now to prove what I said above, in 10 minutes I had fully updating Star Trek "sick bay" bar charts that are multi stated, and powered by VBA by hooking in to the Data Update events.  I am sure with an hour or so it would be fully functioning with all possibilities that are listed in the documents posted by Wolfgang, e.g. range of values within last 1 hour, ...

startrekbarchart.bmp_2D00_480x320.jpg

(Above is just a picture, but it moves with data updates and arrows indicate movement direction.)

You can wrap this all up in to an add-in to facilitate the drawing of the bar charts and manage the data updates centrally rather than VBA in each display.

Next ProcessBook display challenge?

wpurrer

Wow Rhys, you definitly earned a beer .. now it would be cool if a normal user, just can add this symbol like every else symbols.

ldieffenbach

Your point is well taken, Wolfgang. See the other recent conversations around adding major new symbols to PI ProcessBook. I am, of course, forwarding this thread to others within the company who are working on "newer" things.

Rhys, I'm working on a presentation for the User Conference that shows off actual displays that customers have presented over the years. Any chance I could show off your work above? My goal is to give the audience some good ideas of things they can do now with PI ProcessBook. I'd also be happy to reference the book above.

Regards,

Laurie

Wolfgang, earned beer is now being tracked.  Thanks.

Laurie, seen as though it is you please feel free to use any material I post on vCampus.  In fact, I will probably spend some time on a more comprehensive example at some point over the next couple of days and post here when done.

obermec

Despite having visited the EMEAUC 2013 in Paris - an outstanding event by the way - I would like to know:

Are there any news on possible built-in features supporting High Performance HMI?

ldieffenbach

Hi Christian,

I'm glad you found the Paris event useful.

OSIsoft is continuing to work towards a vision that will update the ways in which customers can build displays that provide more meaningful status of their real time data. I don't have timelines I can share with you at this time, as we continue to flesh out a vision for what the experience will provide and how we might go about building it.

We hope to have something more substantial to report at our vCampus Live event this year, but it is still too early to be sure there will be anything to present. We have made progress since last year, however.

Regards,

Laurie Dieffenbach

Product Manager

rickark

I purchased this book just over a year ago.  Very informative, well written and structured.  Something most people don't understand is that High Performance HMI as others have shared is more of a standard rather than equipment specifications.  It's more a of a manual to educate and make poeple think about the capabilities of a HMI rather than pulling variables that were once on a control panel and pasting them on a screen.  This same approach has been applied to alarms which has seen all sorts of mayhem in the industry and hence the same company (PAS) that produced this book also released Alarm Management: Seven Effective Methods for Optimum Performance.

I've been part of a major project that implemented an brand new HMI and dismissed (more by ignorance) the value of designing HMI pages to this standard.  It is my hope that the replicated pages in Process Book for the broader business are done this way and hopefully catch on to the local site control systems.