7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 3:47 AM by dhollebeek

How to limit view changes to PI Processbook users

Ontsitsagui

good evening to all, I would like to know if it is possible with PI Processbook to limit the modifications of the views? I mean that some users do not have the right to modify the views PI and others yes.

• Re: How to limit view changes to PI Processbook users
          John Messinger

The only way you can really do this is using ACLs in your filesystem security on the directory that contains your ProcessBook displays.

John

dhollebeek

There is actually an arcane ProcessBook.INI setting that turns PI ProcessBook into read-only mode:

[Startup]

ProcessBook=PRIMARY

And sorry, I have no idea why this setting is so unintuitively named.  For more information see the "PROCBOOK.INI" section of the PB User's guide.(Page 261 or so).

Thanks,

John Messinger

Only problem with that option is it's a universal setting - it would affect all files opened in that ProcessBook instance would it not? Will it also prevent the user(s) from creating and editing their own display files? That might be what is required in this case, but file permissions are more granular - some files can be protected, others are editable, and no impact on the user's ability to create and modify their own displays.

dhollebeek

Yes and No.  The PROCBOOK.INI file is copied to the user's local appdata directory the first time they run ProcessBook, so it is possible to have a default setting for a PC and then override it on a per user basis.  If you add roaming profiles into the mix, you could, for instance set certain PCs to be read-only, but anyone who has a roaming profile with a read/write PROCBOOK.INI would have read-write access.  These settings can also be overridden in the registry, so there's an fairly straightforward setting to "push" the configuration to certain PCs, though I think the registry overrides are not per-user.  I think there's a Wiki running around for this (probably internal only).

There's another "sneaky" option: Basically if you add VBA to a ProcessBook file the resets the Display.Modified flag before the display is closed, ProcessBook won't save it because it doesn't think it has changed.  See this thread for an example of using the Modified flag:

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/message/104638-re-how-to-create-a-pi-processbook-slideshow#comment-104638

You're right, there are a bunch of ways to do this, and they all have their drawbacks.  The problem with the file security option is that the Display can still be modified accidentally it will stay that way until it is closed and then they will get an error when they close the file.  If you are making the displays read-only for certain users because they lack the computer savvy, then popping up a weird error is a problem.  On the other hand if you are simply trying to protect the integrity of the file, then it's fine.  The PROCBOOK.INI route disables modification of the display at all.

Thanks,