2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 4:49 PM by nthorson

Is is possible to install PI Web Services on Windows 2016?

nthorson

Technically Windows 2012 is the latest version of Windows listed in the PI Web Services release notes.  However, I am still attempting to install it on Windows 2016.  Unfortunately the installer tells me I must install IIS 6.0 or later is required even though it is clearly installed along with all of the other prerequisites listed in the installation guide.  Is there any way to get the software installed?

• Re: Is is possible to install PI Web Services on Windows 2016?
          vkaufmann

This has never been tested and most likely won't work. Can I ask why you are trying to install PI Web Services? This software has been deprecated since 2012 and been replaced by the PI Web API.

• Re: Is is possible to install PI Web Services on Windows 2016?
              nthorson

There are a few reasons.  The primary one is there are already multiple systems in place that utilize PI Web Services.  They have been operating for years.  However, the organization is currently replacing all Windows 2008 servers with Windows 2016 servers, hence the original motivation for the question.  Another reason is PI Web Services utilizes IIS and WCF which provide more options for fail over, load balancing, authentication, communication protocols, etc.  The organization interfaces with multiple external clients, so these options are useful.  Lastly, both internal and external developers are more familiar with SOAP web services as opposed to RESTful web services.    It's pretty easy to use a tool like Visual Studio to read in a WSDL and generate code that handles the work of reading requests, parsing XML, posting responses, etc.