6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2018 11:48 AM by gregor

Get data from PI using a protocol

MarioGIshikawa

Is it possible to send data from PI Server to a gateway using an industrial protocol?

The closest topic I found is this one in which AF SDK is suggested.

The demand is to send real time data to a gateway on a DMZ. Is there something such as a Slave protocol of DNP3 or IEC 60860-14? As I understand, a protocol is possible only on a collector that will get the data from slaves and send it along to the server, so I'm not sure what is the best way to send this data on real time, with delays being OK, of course.

• Re: Get data from PI using a protocol
          John Messinger

It sounds like what you want is a protocol converter, to read data from PI and send it to your gateway device in whatever industrial protocol it is you need. I'm not aware of any such protocol converters for this purpose, but that doesn't necessarily mean someone hasn't written one somewhere.

What type of gateway device are you needing to send PI data to, and what specific protocol does it require?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            gregor

Hello Mario,

Your ask is very general. Can you explain more detailed what you like to do?

Is there any specific protocol you have in mind? Some interfaces support output points. E.g. PI Interface for DNP 3.0 (Read-Write) could be an option but please pay attention to the Read-only versus read-write interfaces FAQ's

Do you just like to send PI Point data or do you like to include asset information?

Is the communication supposed to use local or Internet connection?

What system of storage are you planning to use on the gateway?

If you are aiming for a programmatic solution, PI Web API is probably a good choice because it is platform independent and comes with build in security.

MarioGIshikawa

Hi Gregor, thank you.

I added more information in response to John Messinger.

Basically it is for real time values. There is a PI system in a plant and it needs to be connected to a gateway in a DMZ to send real time data forward using a VPN.So I don't need the asset information.

On your suggestion of PI Interface for DNP 3.0 this interface would work as a Master right? It would basically transfer data writing and not by responding to poll requests, right? If so, I think PI WEB API would be more efficient.

gregor

Hello Mario,

Mario Ishikawa wrote:

On your suggestion of PI Interface for DNP 3.0 this interface would work as a Master right? It would basically transfer data writing and not by responding to poll requests, right?

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking but it appears you are referring to how the PI DNP3 Interface would operate. Please allow me to suggest you to verify operation details with the interface manual.