3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 11:24 PM by mskallet

PI Vision - Database connection problems

masant

Hi!

I have some connections problems in PI Vision. When I try to login to access PI Vision using http:/localhost/pivision, my system works normally,but when I try to login using my domain (http:/ipdomain/pivision) I can login but I cannot access my database: it is occurring an internet server error. There is nothing relevant in event logs about it but, the real situation is my PI Vision isn't working remotely and I don't know why.

I put some prints below to show how PI Vision is working logged using "localhost" and "IP domain".

Login using localhost - works perfectly!

admlocalhost.PNG

loginlocalhost.PNG

login using domain IP - I can login in PI Vision, but, I don't have any access to database.

admloginIP.PNG

loginIP.PNG

Recently I had to restart PI Vision PC to do some maintenance, so, I suspect something isn't working correctly because it (a service maybe, or some application), because, before this, PI Vision worked normally. Do you have any ideas that could solve it?

Thanks!

• Re: PI Vision - Database connection problems
          mskallet

Hi Matheus,

That is indeed a peculiar issue. Can you verify what kind of certificate you are using? self-signed, third party, domain? It would seem that Vision cannot establish a secure connection to the search service location when Vision is accessed through anything other than localhost (and since you cannot connect to this, your databases cannot be indexed and you cannot search in Vision), and I'm wondering if that has do with the certificate. What appears under the Subject Alternative Names (SAN) in the certificate?

Are Vision and Web API installed and running on the same machine?

Are you using any aliases for the Vision machine or Web API machine (if Web API is not on the same machine as Vision)?

Would you be able to share what the "maintenance" was?

~Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            masant

Hi Mark, thanks for your answer!

Well, I verified the SAN in the certificate and everything is normal, as I configured lately.

Vision and Web API doesn't installed and running on the same machine. Web API is in the same machine the PI AF is installed. PI Vision was installed in another machine, just to run it. We had problems when we installed in the same machine, it doesn't work here. When the programs were installed in separated machines, it works perfectly, until now.

About the maintenance, it doesn't relation about our PI System, it was some changes in the structure here in our laboratory that, to do, we had to turn off our machines, so, when we turn on our machines, we saw this problems occurring in PI Vision. So, normally is not recommended turn off Windows Server, but we had to do it and probably something had its configuration changed without intention in this process.

I'll verify about the use of aliases with my partner and I'll answer about it more precisely.

mskallet

Hi Matheus,

If there is an instance of PI Web API running on the AF server machine, have you checked the PI Web API event viewer logs on that machine in addition to the web server to see if there is an attempted connection from Vision when you attempt to access the admin page using your server name or FQDN? You can also "show analytic and debug logs" in event viewer and then enable each under the PI Web API and recreate the issue to see if more information is logged there.

~Mark