8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2018 6:13 PM by kpierce

PI Data into AWS / Cloud?

Abu.Salam

Hello everyone!

What is your recommendations getting sensor data real-time into AWS?  Do you think install PI in AWS virtual server and then having a PItoPI with the business PI server is a good way of doing it?

Any best practices would be highly appreciated.

Blessings!

• Re: PI Data into AWS / Cloud?
          kpierce

HI Abu,

There's a whitepaper available here on PI Square about PI and Amazon Web Services.  There's of course myriad considerations on architecture and most decisions are based on weighing pros and cons, as opposed to an absolute "best practice".  In general we recommend interfaces be as close to the sensor as possible to minimize data loss due to network connectivity or other similar issues.

Also, whether or not the analytics are time sensitive (or sensitive to latency issues) and whether or not it makes sense to move all of the data to the cloud before doing some analyses first.  We have many ways to get data from remote systems and sensors to the cloud, including partner offerings, which may be appropriate in some cases.

Having more info on the actual use case would be very helpful in providing additional recommendations or guidance.

Thanks,

Keith

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            LalBabuShaik

Hi Abu Salam

If you are planning to implement on Azure, i would request you to check SQL version. Azure SQL may not support all AF features and would request you to evaluate standard and enterprise version. Network and AD authentication to be considered during initial setup. Azure/AWS offers on-premise and cloud AD synchronization.  As @keith Pierce highlighted having more info on use case will help us providing more information.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              nanderson

This thread is going to need to be updated pretty soon, our Business Integrator will out soon in Beta that has an AWS endpoint - I don't have release details yet, but this will of course be the preferred method as soon as its released.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  Abu.Salam

That is awesome Nate, I will actually looked for it before submitting this

kpierce

Hi Nate,

I guess if you mean that the integrator may be an option for some use cases, that i certainly agree.  Once it's released then this is a good consideration.  However, with the limited info provided on a use case, it's not clear if the integrator would even be an option.  It sounds like this may more be along the lines of a PI System locally, and the need for a PI System in the cloud.  In that case, the integrator may not be an option.  Good point, all the same.  Let's see if Abu can provide additional info on the use case.

Thanks,

Keith

Abu.Salam

Thanks much Keith!  Good whitepaper.  Do you also happen to have any recommendation on the architecture?

kpierce

Hi Abu,

It sounds like there's a local PI System and the need to possibly get a PI System in PI AWS.  Is that right?  We (OSIsoft) are working on additional cloud offerings, but to date, the only released candidate is something like PI Cloud Connect.  I believe in this use case we'd treat the PI System on AWS like a PI System in another data center.  Currently, the PI Cloud Connect offering is a great candidate to move data between two PI Systems outside of one network (like a corporate network). 

Of course many people are moving into the realm of IIoT, so in many of those cases it's more of an edge device sending data to a PI System, effectively one time.  We are also working on some other ways to do this and we have a cloud team who could offer some more help in that regard.

If you could please update us on the proposed need a bit more, we can provide better references to also review.

Thanks,

Keith