18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 1:27 PM by gopal

PI OLEDB as a Cognos data source

mikeloria

I had a thread a ways back but was unable to implement making PI a data source for our Cognos. We are currently running Cognos 8 and will soon be upgrading to Cognos 10. Both are running on windows 2008 64 bit servers.

I was hoping someone might share their experiences/advice with making OleDB enterprise a data source. I am running the latest and greatest PI server (2010 R3) and I plan to use the latest OleDB enterprise install that was just released on 1/15/2012.

I thank you in advance for sharing your experience and possible implementation plan.

• Re: PI OLEDB as a Cognos data source

Are you getting an error with PI OLEDB Enterprise or PI JDBC? Can you list them?

Some of the older installs that I recall had used PI ODBC.

aabrodskiy

Earlier install kits had 32bit/64bit issue when installed on Windows 2008 64-bit, but the latest PI OLEDB Enterprise installs and works straightaway.

Alex: Which version of Cognos are you using?

aabrodskiy

Gopal,

I was referring to the PI OLEDB Enterprise install kit, which used to have installation issues on 64-bit machines, but then was fixed starting from R2 I believe, when it included both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PI SDK, etc. We do not use Cognos.

I also recall a site that used PI JDBC to get PI data to Tivoli Data Warehouse which was then surfaced in Cognos.

mikeloria

Is it as simple as installing the PI OLEDB Enterprise 2010 R3 executable directly onto the Cognos server and then simply defining the connection in Cognos?

This is where I was a bit confused.

Also, Is the PI OLE DB provider included in the PI OLEDB Enterprise 2010 R3 or do I need a separate install? I am assuming that it would be in either case be a separate connection defined for the provider as opposed to the enterprise.

Thank you

You will have to go thru' PI as a Linked SQL Server.  So PI OLEDB Enterprise will go on the SQL box and Cognos will connect via SQL.

hanyong

Mike Loria

Also, Is the PI OLE DB provider included in the PI OLEDB Enterprise 2010 R3 or do I need a separate install? I am assuming that it would be in either case be a separate connection defined for the provider as opposed to the enterprise.

The classic PI OLEDB Provider provides access to the PI Server for time-series data, whereas PI OLEDB Enterprise provides access to the metadata and data from AF Server. These are available as seperate install kits that you can download from the download center. As you would imagine, since they are different products, they would require a seperate connection.

mikeloria

Are we certain on having to make PI a linked server in Microsoft SQL server to expose it to Cognos? I was not fully sold on this architecture and I had difficulty using the MS SQL JDBC driver in Netbeans. I finally got it to work going through the master database but I could not see any of the tables in the server function in Netbeans.

I would assume that I could install OLE DB Provider and/or enterprise directly on the Cognos server and access that way? I need to see the tables in Cognos for my customers. Anyone that can provide additional insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Note: We have both Cognos 8 and 10 running as we are in transition to 10 so if anyone knows of any implementation differences, please share.

Thank you

dblack

Hello Mike,

I'm working with another customer on integration with Cognos 10 (10.1.1 specifically). At this customer, they are using Cognos directly against the PI System for dynamically generated queries/reports. The use case(s) you are using Cognos for will have an effect on the best way to integrate the two systems.

From our experience at my customer, PI OLEDB Enterprise as a Linked Server in SQL Server is the only way to connect. IBM has stated that Cognos does not support generic OLEDB or JDBC sources. In other words, the answer to your question about installing PI OLEDB Enterprise directly on the Cognos server is "no", because Cognos will not directly connect to it.

If you are using Cognos in a more business intelligence type fashion for multidimensional analysis, it may be worth looking into an intermediate relational or cube data store. For instance, another customer is using Tivoli Data Warehouse in the middle, which can extract data from the PI System using PI JDBC.

We hope that we can work with IBM to provide more streamlined connectivity for the future, but obviously that process would take a while and would not be relevant to your project. However, please let your IBM contacts know that you are interested in using Cognos to analyze PI data...every nudge towards more integration helps, on both sides!