16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 8:17 PM by szymkowicz

Does osisoft benchmarked pi afsdk and published some reports?

szymkowicz

It would be nice if osisoft would get some benchmark to evaluate and report the latest pi afsdk against different pi data archive and after versions, at least the latest release.

These reports should answer most of the questions of pi afsdk developers in terms of performance, stability, diagnostics and release improvements.

A discussion around what kind of dataflows are relevant in the benchmark would help, don't you think?

• Re: Does osisoft benchmarked pi afsdk and published some reports?
          tramachandran

Generalized metrics are often difficult to compare with a specific case as there are a multitude of factors (memory, network latency, data density, I/O speed, concurrent applications etc.) that can affect the performance of an application.

However with AF 2.9+ you should be able to generate metrics for your environment and use this as benchmark to verify performance improvements on code changes/upgrades.

Using metrics in your AF SDK code

For a discussion on Serial/Parallel/Bulk calls for data retrieval using AF SDK refer to KB01216 - AF SDK Performance: Serial vs. Parallel vs. Bulk

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            KenjiHashimoto

I like this presentation.

https://www.osisoft.com/Presentations/Best-Practices-for-Building-AF-SDK-Applications/ 

Good thing is that at least OSIsoft explains how to get performance by AFSDK.

Also some of the post shows performance.

AFSDK Bulk summary calls slower that other bulk calls

$listResults = $pointlist.RecordedValues($tr,[OSisoft.AF.Data.AFBoundaryType]::Inside,"",$true,$pagingconfig,100000)

Total Seconds : 4.1796506

Values From Call : 3135593

It is only one example and it depends on the environment, network performance etc... So it is good to test in your environment too.

bench mark is helpful for user but I believe it depends on the test condition. Also which functions do you want to see the bench mark?

Sometimes user want to get 10000 tags current values, sometimes recorded values, there are a lot of methods in AF SDK.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                szymkowicz

How about some reports or information how to reach 500k events/second for

500k pinpoints using fan out pibufss on a pi ha setup.

Then how to reach higher like 1M/s for more pi points.

Regards,

Stephan

John Messinger

Are you looking for these kind of data rates for data being sent to the Data Archive, or being retrieved from it? In both cases, these kind of data rates would require a combination of both reasonably high end hardware, and well optimised code for bulk data handling (AF SDK bulk data methods, appropriate parallel processing etc). There will be other factors involved as well such as network environment, PI Data Archive tuning, etc.

KenjiHashimoto

Basically using pibufss means writing events to PI tags performance.

I believe the AFSDK developer team should have some of the internal performance test results.

David Moler , can you comment for it? Do you guys have the test results that is possible to share it within the PI Dev Club community?

szymkowicz

Yes I do agree, around standardized benchmarks in order to reproduce and follow with changes accross releases (both pi server and sdk).

Yes, i need to evaluate in and out 500k+/s at least for 1 update/s/tag, but not only tag values update.

I did evaluate bulk vs serial vs parallel but still have some contentions between afsdk pibuss and pi servers.

Does anyone have already tested 500k+/s update with 1update/s/tag with fan-out on a pi server in ha.

Anyway, testing each release of afsdk and pi server is a lot of work, also as we don't have access to afsdk and pi development team and code, how we can troubleshoot to find answers to our questions, and to deliver solutions that match our objectives.

Don't you think it should done by osisoft afsdk team and just issue a performance report based on a set of benchmark?

dmoler

Hi Stephan,

We run many different performance tests internally. Because our infrastructure permits a lot of flexibility in configuration and architecture and is run in production on a wide variety of hardware, it is impossible to give a specific measurement that is going to be widely applicable. In past instances, these measurements have been taken without the context in which they were generated and extrapolated to other use cases where they don't apply. So I hope you can understand our hesitance.

I can see your point as well; you are trying to figure out what are the most performant ways to execute certain tasks or what are the rough capabilities of the system to determine if a particular approach is appropriate. I'll see about making something available in the proper format - perhaps blog posts covering optimization for different scenarios. In the mean time, I can give you some general guidance for your situation. Do I understand correctly that you want to know the throughput through updates on a PI Data Archive? Can you describe your use case and architecture in more detail?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                    szymkowicz

Hi David,

Thank for your answer, I do understand the problem to publish data and get as a result many out of context questions.

Yes, you do understand the context.

Basically I do need to manage a steady flow of update which should come in order and very very rarely out of order. You can conzicon a flow of segment of ordered update and once in a while a few segment out of order of ordered updates.

dmoler

Hi Stephan,

500k events per second via updates is possible but is pushing the limits. A few things that could get in the way of reaching this target:

• Writing data not via buffer. Unbuffered writes will put more load on the PI Data Archive and negatively impact data ingestion rate.
                                        • Having other large update consumers (e.g. Asset Analytics) targeting the same collective member. If you use other big update consumers, try to segment which collective member they use.
                                        • On the client side using PIDataPipe/AFDataPipe/AFDataCache to consume the updates, you'll need to spread the load across multiple instances. AFSDK uses a scale-out model for high performance update consumption: each data pipe is (mostly) single threaded to keep synchronization overhead low but multiple instances can be created to operate independently. Much of the time consumed by updates is in client-side deserialization of the data. I would recommend using 5-10 data pipe instances from your client to consume this data (assuming you are only consuming PI data directly - if you are consuming formula or other calculations you might need more). These can be polled in parallel to achieve maximum overall throughput.

One important thing to note is that if you aren't getting the throughput you expect, the backup will almost certainly manifest as a back-up in the data ingest rate (e.g. write RPCs to PI Data Archive queuing up, buffers building up).

If you have more questions - please don't hesitate to ask.

3 of 3 people found this helpful