15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 6:29 PM by exelejames

I want to write an app that writes values to PI history

SMBLACK

I want to write an app that writes values to PI history....value/quality and date/time

• Re: I want to write an app that writes values to PI history
          rborges

That's easy! Could you please provide some more context so I can point you to resources more appropriate to your goals? What language? What platform? Will it be a service, web or windows form?

SMBLACK

We have a product from Exele (OPCCALC) that allows me to write Visual Basic (VBNET simple) that only reads/writes from

using OPC with many different partners including PI.

I can write values in archive to PI using the manual PI SMT desktop, but wondered if there was a subroutine/function

available for me to write back to PI (I already write back current values/qualities).

I can read historic values (averages from PI using HDA), but want to write single values to PI history (like the SMT tool) ,

with a  specified time attached in the past.

rborges

Oh, I see!

I will provide you a C# snippets, but is pretty much the same thing in VB.NET.

// First we define our imports
                  using OSIsoft.AF;
                  using OSIsoft.AF.EventFrame;
                  using OSIsoft.AF.PI;
                  using OSIsoft.AF.Search;
                  using OSIsoft.AF.Time;

// Now we get the servers you have on your KST
                  PIServers piServers = new PIServers();
                  // Then you select the one you want
                  PIServer piServer = piServers["MyPIServer"];
                  // Now we find that tag we want to write data to
                  PIPoint point = PIPoint.FindPIPoint(piServer, "tag_1");
                  // Now we create the timestamp we want for our new data
                  AFTime time = new AFTime(DateTime.now);
                  // And then a value
                  AFValue afValueFloat = new AFValue(3.14, time);
                  // Now we associate the AFValue to a PI Point so we know where to write to.
                  afValueFloat.PIPoint = point;

// Now we add this value to a list of values
                  // Here we have a single tag, but this is usefull when you
                  // want to update several tags
                  IList<AFValue> valuesToWrite = new List<AFValue>();
                  valuesToWrite.Add(afValueFloat);

// Finally we perform a bulk write.
                  // Use a single local call to PI Buffer Subsystem if possible.
                  // Otherwise, make a single call to the PI Data Archive.
                  // We use no compression just so we can check all the values are written.
                  piServer.UpdateValues(valuesToWrite, AFUpdateOption.InsertNoCompression, AFBufferOption.BufferIfPossible);

Is this what you are looking for?

Rick Davin

Hi Stephen,

There are many ways to achieve what you want to do.  Rafael Borges  has shown you just one way using the PIServer.UpdateValues method which allows you to update many values for many PIPoints in one bulk call.  The key to it, as shown in line 19, was associating the PIPoint object to the AFValue's PIPoint property.

The PIPoint object allows you to update one value for one PIPoint with the PIPoint.UpdateValue method.  Or you may update many values for the one PIPoint using the PIPoint.UpdateValues method.  The difference here compared to what Rafael demonstrated is that you do not need to set the AFValue's PIPoint property.  For example, given a PIPoint object named "point", this works fine:

point.UpdateValue(afValueFloat, AFUpdateOption.Replace)

SMBLACK

But what if these methods are not available on my windows systems:

using OSIsoft.AF;

using OSIsoft.AF.EventFrame;

using OSIsoft.AF.PI;

using OSIsoft.AF.Search;

using OSIsoft.AF.Time;

Rick Davin

In VB.NET the command is called Imports, as in:

Imports OSIsoft.AF

etc.

SMBLACK

These systems are not internet connected

exelejames

Hi Stephen,

I work for Exele and am happy to help in whatever way I can here with any OPCcalc related questions.

OPCcalc supports writing values in history through HDA natively, so it is possible to leverage OPCcalc to do that.

That said, I'm not totally sure if that's what you're asking here. Are you trying to use OPCcalc to write values to PI history, or looking to write PI history independently of OPCcalc?

As always, happy to help as I can. Feel free to email us at support@exele.com if you have any product-specific questions too

SMBLACK

Both, but I did not know I could use HAD to write 1-minute values back into PI 1-minute history?

Here is an APP currently reading from HAD and writing what it gets to a local dcs:

OPCNODE=DPRCPSAPP03

READ_DEVICE

{INIT

Dim value(34) As Object

Dim qualityx(34) As Int32

Dim tagname(34) As String

Dim time(34) As Date

Dim writeerr(34) As Int32

Dim writeerrstr(34) As String

Dim statusx As int32

Dim statusmsg As String

Dim i As Integer

Dim quality,status As Integer

If $FIRSTTIME Then

xlSetDAGroupActiveFlag("DPRCPSAPP03",False)

xlSetDAGroupActiveFlag("DSDPKPIPCNCOLL",False)

End If

FileOpen(1,"C:\io_files\HOURAVGBADS1.txt",openmode.append)

PrintLine(1,$CURTIME,"CPSAVG1 ",$TAG(F10346CCUAVG/PV_IN.CV),$TAG(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\CCU.FI10346.PV))

value(0)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\CCU.FI10346.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

quality,status,statusmsg)

value(1)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\CCU.FI10365.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(2)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\SW1.FC19763.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(3)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FC25400_ARO),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(4)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FI115_ARO),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(5)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FI1575_PAU),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(6)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FI23380_ARO),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(7)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\SR5.FI53108.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(8)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FI7092_IRU),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(9)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FIO218_OP2),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(10)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FIO323_OP2),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(11)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\DU2.F602.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(12)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F1571COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(13)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F1671COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(14)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F1771COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(15)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F1871COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(16)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F1971COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(17)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F2071COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(18)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F2171COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(19)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F2271COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(20)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F2371COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(21)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F2471COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(22)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\CR3.FI34502.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(23)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\HP1.FI52202.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(24)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F712COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(25)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\F762COM_OP3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(26)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\FI9260C_PA3),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(27)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\ESO.FI93652.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(28)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\SR8.FI94652.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(29)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\PL2.FR_527.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(30)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\UCC.ACHMUS.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(31)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\UCC.AOP2US.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(32)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\UCC.ACOMPR.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(33)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\UCC.ACPSUS.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

value(34)=xlTagTimeAverage($NAMEX(||DSDPKPIPCNCOLL||
                                        DSDPKPIPCNCOLL\UCC.FI44351.PV),$CURTIME.AddHours(-1),$CURTIME, _

tagname( 0 )="F10346CCUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 1 )="F10365CCUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 2 )="FC19763SW1AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 3 )="FC25400ACUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 4 )="FI115ACUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 5 )="FI1575PAUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 6 )="FI23380ACUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 7 )="FI53108SR56AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 8 )="FI7092IRUAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 9 )="FIO218OP2AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 10 )="FIO323OP2AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 11 )="F602DU2AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 12 )="FI1571OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 13 )="FI1671OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 14 )="FI1771OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 15 )="FI1871OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 16 )="FI1971OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 17 )="FI2071OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 18 )="FI2171OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 19 )="FI2271OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 20 )="FI2371OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 21 )="FI2471OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 22 )="FI34502CR3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 23 )="FI52202HP1AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 24 )="FI712OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 25 )="FI762OP3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 26 )="FI9260PA3AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 27 )="FI93652SR67AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 28 )="FI94652SR8AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 29 )="FR527PLAT2AVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 30 )="ACHMUSAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 31 )="AOP2USAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 32 )="ACOMPRAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 33 )="ACPSUSAVG/PV_IN.CV"

tagname( 34 )="FI44351AVG/PV_IN.CV"

For i = 0 To 34

time(i)=$CURTIME

qualityx(i)=qualGOOD

Next i

status=0

Call xlSendTagValsCurrent(tagname,value,time,qualityx,writeerr, _

writeerrstr,statusx,statusmsg)

If statusx<>0 Then PrintLine(1,"Overall status error = ", statusx)

For i=0 To 34

If writeerr(i)<>0 Then

PrintLine(1,"Error on point = ",tagname(i))

PrintLine(1,"Error msg is = ",writeerrstr(i))

End If

Next i

FileClose(1)

exelejames

In case anyone is curious, or for future arrivals...

OPCcalc can write data to PI's history through OPC HDA. It requires PI's HDA interface (of course) and HDA set up in OPCcalc's connection properties. Use either method:

1. Set "$OUTTIME" to the time stamp at which to output values. This will write the value to that time in HDA.
                                            2. Use the "xlSendTagVal" function. It accepts multiple arguments including both the output timestamp as well as the quality to write.

Qualities can be written via HDA by using the "$SETQUAL" function or, as mentioned above, in the "xlSendTagVal" function.

OPCcalc also provides the ability to insert custom code, so any other methods that could be discussed here can also be used in what we call our "user functions" section.

I'll leave writing to PI History via other methods (AFSDK, PI-SDK, etc.) to others for now

Edict is OPCcalc's sister product geared specifically towards writing data to PI.

SMBLACK

OK I think I get it…..It will be later today before I can try this

thanks

Steve

SMBLACK

OK I think I get it…..It will be later today before I can try this

thanks

Steve

tramachandran

I would also like to point out that writing back data to PI can be done through a workbooks provided with PI Datalink.

Custom coding generally requires resources for development and maintenance. If you are thinking of writing a of one off application for a specific task, it might be easier to leverage an existing product.

Write data to PI Data Archive or PI AF discusses the use of example workbooks distributed with PI DataLink to write data to PI Data Archive or PI AF with the PIPutVal() and PIPutValX() functions. In the appropriate cells of the PutVal worksheet, enter the time stamp, data item, and value that you want to write, as well as the root path that specifies the server for the entered data items.

(For an example of how you can write Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code to use these functions, open the Visual Basic editor for the example workbook and examine the PutVal_code module.)

If you prefer developing a custom application, Rafael Borges & Rick Davin's posts are great to get started.