11 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2018 5:45 PM by warrecy2

Archive Data

warrecy2

Fellow PI Users,

We have archived data off of the Data Historian as we were running out of space and at the time didn't see a need to maintain 7 years of data on a live system.  Since then the need has come up a few times for access to this data.  Yes we can put it back on the system for a day then take it back off but we still risk running out of space.  We could also increase the storage.  However, I would prefer not to have this much data on the live system in general.  Has anyone implemented anything for people to view archive data?

Thanks!

• Re: Archive Data
          sraposo

Hi Cynthia,

What about storing the archives on a SAN?

I haven't heard of an application that can read raw archive files and I'm not sure if it would be possible to build such an application. When the PI Data Archive retrieves data from archive files it uses information stored in other files. For example it needs to retrieve the Point ID and RecNo of a PI Point prior to locating the data in the archive file.

Thanks,

Seb

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              gmichaud-verreault

To add up to what Sebastien is mentioning, the most frequently used archive files should be kept locally, but anything that is older can be moved elsewhere.If you store the archive files somewhere anyway, why not just point to the PI Data Archive to that same location. Yes, the data retrieval may be longer due to network latency / IOPS, but it will be a seamless process for end users - no need to know where the archives are.

Gabriel

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              warrecy2

Gabriel  are there instructions/guidance on how to do this and not mess up where the current archives are being stored?

gmichaud-verreault

Assuming the archives files are currently local:

1. Copy all the archive files + annotation files on the SAN / network location that you will want to move
                  2. Unregister the local archives you have copied from SMT
                  3. Register them again (pointed at the new location) using SMT or from the command line similar to PI\adm>piartool -ar \\networklocation\PIArchives\*.arc
                  4. Confirm that the list is complete on SMT -> operations -> archives and pointed at the network location
                  5. Delete the local archive files

Gabriel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  warrecy2

So you can point it to an archive that exists outside of the machine as long as the two machines will talk? 

warrecy2

Thank you I will give this a try.

warrecy2

One more question.  We have PIBackup enabled.  When this backups how do I see what folders it is backing up?  Essentially I am trying to figure out if these old archives that we are viewing from a different drive don't get backed up. 

warrecy2

We decided to just do a separate drive for older archives but then I was told that if you don't modify your backup then all archives will still back up that are on the machine, is this true?