8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 9:51 AM by mehul.nakum

Business uses of PI AF for Power Industries

mehul.nakum

What are the different kinds of Business functions/operations/processes in Power industries where PI AF can be used and add a value to the Business.  One of such cases I know is Condition based Asset monitoring.  It would be helpful to know more such cases.

• Re: Business uses of PI AF for Power Industries
          skwan

Mehul:

In addition to condition based asset monitoring, we also have users using PI AF in the power industry to perform Condition based maintenance, performance monitoring including fleet wide comparisons and KPI, etc.

May I ask why you are asking?

Not sure where you're coming from (i.e. your level of familiarity with the PI System) and why exactly you are asking, but generally speaking PI AF is the way you organize, interrelate and decorate things in the PI System - it is your best entry point/view into the PI System. With that in mind, it makes it much more easier to view, find and play with PI System data than with the legacy, flat tag list approach - and therefore it enables a myriad of scenarios such as the ones you and Steve Kwan listed above.

Like Steve, I am also interested in learning more about what your goals are. I would also like to suggest you consider attending our Users Conference 2012 at the end of April, to come hear and learn directly from the users of the Power Industries.

mehul.nakum

Thanks Steve Kwan and Steve Pilon for your comments!!!

I am a PI System Manager working on PI System products since last 6 years almost.  I understand the technicality of all PI system products so you can talk any level of knowledge about it.

The goal is to proactively suggest the business (who dont have PI AF yet and running on legacy PI server), the benefits of using PI AF and how it would help them improve their business.  

Steve Pilon, many companies dont just like to decorate their PI system without having proper business benefits, so we should find out many business cases where PI AF can be used and  make the difference to their business.  With Steve Kwan's comment, we have two cases now:

1. Condition based asset maintenance and  performance monitoring

2. Fleet wide comparisons and KPIs

Appreciate your comments and welcome many more!!!

Mehul Nakum

Steve Pilon, many companies dont just like to decorate their PI system without having proper business benefits, so we should find out many business cases where PI AF can be used and  make the difference to their business.
                      Of course I just wanted to give a 10,000 foot view of what it is you do with AF, for readers (apparently not you ) who are less familiar with it. While Steve K. had already listed a few use cases, my point was to try and emphasize how accessing the PI System through PI AF (rather than the legacy, tag-based approach) was making all use cases much easier.

The ones you have now are good and hopefully the community will chime in with more! In the meantime, you might also want to look at content we have on our corporate website (www.osisoft.com):

1. Presentations from past Users Conferences, where you can filter by industry:
                        Events > Previous Events > View Presentations from Previous Events
                      2. The various sections under the "PI System Value" section

Hope this helps!

mehul.nakum

Steve Pilon, I hope you have not mistaken me :-).  Your comment was very much appreciated!!!  I was just mentioning that Business may need a case where PI AF has helped them in revenue generation.

I have gone through few sections under PI System value and would like to dig more there as well as presentations you mentioned. Thanks for the information.

Nope, had not mistaken you! No worries, I just wanted to clarify my thoughts ;)

mhalhead

Mehul,

I'm going to throw in my thoughts from a users perspective. As a side note we are using AF, I would say reasonably extensively.

Why AF:

• Provides a mechanism to structure the data into more meaningful "objects". For example AF will allow you to look at Pump 1 rather than 10 different tags related by name to Pump 1.
                                  • Associate meta data with the real time data. e.g. Pump 1 can now have a manufacture, frame size, power rating, ... assocaited with it.
                                  • Provides the base mechanism for Pivot style analysis. e.g. show me the performance of all pumps, or the run hours of all centrifugal pump (template inheritance)
                                  • The ability to structure hierarchical asset models facilitates automated roll ups. Unfortunately AF lacks a suitable calculation engine, OSIsoft is working on this (Abacus)
                                  • Powerful add on applications from OSIsoft. PI Notifications being the most obvious; I'm dying to see what else they come up with.
                                  • Event Frames: EF is part of AF. IMNHO EF is one of the most exciting develops to come out of OSIsoft in recent years. The ability to capture operational events and associate the assets with them is truly powerful; adding additional inputs from operators and engineers is essential.
                                  • AF is relatively easy to integrate with. OSIsoft has provide a really well thought out SDK; the new RDA version is even nicer.

This is only a very short list off the top of my head. I would stress that you should not under estimate the first two points. Creating a single definitive asset hierarchy/database that is linked to the actual operational data provides a mechanism to unlock a good chunk of the value in your PI system.

mehul.nakum

Appreciate your thoughts on this topic Michael.  So, I am accumulating the Business cases of PI AF here from your points and earlier by Steve K and Steve P.

1. Condition based asset maintenance and  performance monitoring

2. Fleet wide comparisons and KPIs

3. PI Notifications - to build and maintain real time PI notifications/alerts for concerned group of people including IM alerts (OCS) for Mobile phones as well

4. Operational events capturing using Event Frames: The ability to capture operational events and associate the assets with them; adding additional inputs from operators and engineers is essential.

Appreciate and welcome many such thoughts.