AnsweredAssumed Answered

Enter batch data from file to event frames

Question asked by simon.willis on May 13, 2018
Latest reply on May 15, 2018 by Dan Fishman

Hi All,

I have an interesting batch application on a mine site. Essentially they have a batch process running from a PLC. I should be able to generate event frames easily enough from this. The tricky part is that after the batch has finished they take lab samples, process them and output them to an excel file. The file contains the batch ID. What we would like to do is push the contents of this lab assay file to corresponding event frame. To be honest here, I haven't used PI's batch systems before, so there may be a solution in that space. I had a quick read through the "PI Interfaces for Batch and Manufacturing Execution Systems Users Guide" and I don't think there's anything in there that can help us in this case. So I thought I'd gather the thoughts of the community as to the best way to approach this. These are the options I have thought of:

• Use the UFL to read the file into PI points. All values would be timstamped to the same time. Unfortunately the files from the lab do not contain a timestamp, so we'd probably use the time of execution as the timestamp.
    • From here we have 2 options that I can think of:
      • Write a custom AFSDK service that monitors the above PI points and pushes the data into attributes of the correct event frame.
      • Write a custom data reference which performs a lookup. It would find the timestamp of the batch IF PI point and then return the value from the other PI points at the matching timestamp. Should be relatively easy and we would insert it into the event frame templates.
  • Don't use the UFL at all and just write a custom service to read the file and push the results directly into the correct batch event frame. Are there any products that do this already?

I'd appreciate your thoughts as to the best method for this use case.

Outcomes