3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 3:21 PM by rschmitz

I am collecting alarm and event data in PI and am looking for a way to visualize this data.

mikes737

I work for a major utility in Arizona.  We use ABB Symphony Plus to operate many of our power plants.  We are considering collected the alarm and event data generated by Symphony Plus in PI.  I have figured out how to collect the Alarm and Event data, but have no idea how to visualize the data.  The primary visual we are looking for is the PI Tags that have the most Alarms or Events or a given time frame.

• Re: I am collecting alarm and event data in PI and am looking for a way to visualize this data.
          rschmitz

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to us on Pi Square! This is question is a tad vague and I assume that's because any number of different visualization would work so long as they expressed which tags had the most events, is that correct?

The two thoughts that come to mind are:

1. Using PI Vision to view in a trend the tag as it goes from inactive to active (this wouldn't give you a count, but it more of a visualization over time than the second method)

2. Using DataLink plug-in for Excel with a Calculated Data call to get the count for a tag when the value is "True" or "ON" or whatever value the tag goes to when the alarm/event is active. This wouldn't give a literal visual, but would tell you the information you're looking for in a numeric form

Please let me know if I misunderstand your question and you have additional requirements on how exactly you would like to visualize this data.

Cheers,

Rob

• Re: I am collecting alarm and event data in PI and am looking for a way to visualize this data.
              mikes737

Rob,

Let me provide more details on my question.  I have a few thousand PI Tags which have alarm and event data.  What I am trying to determine is the count of the number of times a given PI Tag has a value of Alarm for each of those few thousand PI Tags.  Once I have that count I want to know the 20 PI Tags that have the highest count.

Visualizing a single known PI Tag is easy.  My challenge is that I have a big bucket of PI Tags and I want to know which ones have the most occurrences of a given value.

Michael Schaffer

IT System Analyst/Integrator Sr. | Fossil and Market Operations

• : 602/250-3552 | ' Ext. 81-3552 | • :Mail Station:8990

•: michael.schaffer@aps.com<mailto:michael.schaffer@aps.com>

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

rschmitz

Michael,

In that case I would recommend using DataLink with Excel. You can pull in your list of Tag Names in a single column, then reference those tags names in an advanced calculation to find the number of times the tag was equal to a certain value. For example with the BA:Active.1 Tag below. Note that the data item is referencing the string in cell A1 for the name of the PI Tag. Also Note that I have Filter Expression of: TagVal('Ba:Active.1') = "Active". This causes the count to only include instances when the TagValue of BA:Active.1 = "Active." (I've set this tag to only record a value on change so I know there will be exactly 1 archive value of "Active" when the tag goes from InActive to Active)

You can then use Native Excel functions to sort out the list. Given a list of strings and values adjacent you can highlight them > right click > sort > Custom sort. You can sort the Column with the values and Order them Largest to Smallest

>   

Let me know if this would fit your needs.

Cheers,

Rob