2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 12:14 PM by Rick Davin

Is there anyway of registering separate (x86/x64) libraries against the same Custom AF Data Reference?

miklosh

Hi, I'm trying to implement a single Custom Data Reference to integrate PHD tags into PI AF. The issue I am having is with the separate PHD x86/x64 client libraries i.e. I can not build a "Any CPU" Custom Data Reference library.

ProcessBook and 32bit Excel/Datalink require x86 compatibility and PI Vision, PSE ... require x64 compatibility.

The regPlugin*.exe app will not let me register separate assembly (x86/x64) ddls against the same Data Reference name e.g. "PHD Point".

If I am forced to register two Custom Data References I will need to build an AF hierarchies for each Data Reference type.

Is there a work around for this issue?

• Re: Is there anyway of registering separate (x86/x64) libraries against the same Custom AF Data Reference?
          vkaufmann

Hi Mik,

Have you referenced this white paper discussing custom data references? This talks about the x86/x64 case in the Registering Data References section using regplugin.

Specifically, "If you have built your data reference targeting x86 or x64 platforms instead of AnyCPU. You can have the dlls in separate file locations and register them with RegPlugin by referencing the appropriate paths."

Is there an error you get when trying to register your plugins? What is stopping you from building your plugin for AnyCPU?

Also, building a custom data reference to read data from PHD seems like overkill to me. I think the typical route is to migrate PHD data to PI using OPC methods to move data.

--Vince

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Is there anyway of registering separate (x86/x64) libraries against the same Custom AF Data Reference?
            Rick Davin

Data References are a type of plug in.  As Microsoft designed how plug ins work, be it in Excel, ProcessBook, or even in PI System Explorer, the plug in should not be designed to be 32 bit nor 64 bit, but as AnyCPU.  How it will be loaded at runtime depends on the HOSTING application that you are plugging into.  PSE 32 bit will load the plug in as 32 bits in its application space.  PSE 64 bit will load the exact same plug in as 64 bits in its application space.