9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 12:35 PM by vwolf

processbook update error

rahulbhavsar

Hi all,

please help to understand what is the reason behind getting this update error in processbook when clicking on the value, its not always coming but only few times and after clicking OK value again start updating. We have PI processbook 2012 SP2

processbook_update_error.PNG

• Re: processbook update error
          vwolf

Hello Rahul,

This seems to be some kind of network issue. I don't usually see this particular message tough. Do you use VBA code or macros on this display?

You could leave a cmd prompt pinging the PI Data Archive along with the PI ProcessBook display to check if there is indeed disconnections happening with the following command (Where HOSTNAME is the PI Data Archive IP, hostname or FQDN):

ping -t HOSTNAME

If you experience the error, go to the cmd prompt window and see if there is anything different from normal.

Regards,

Victor

rahulbhavsar

Hi victor,

Thank you for reverting yes we use VBA code on this PB display. We will leave a cmd to ping the host to see disconnection if any, however since last couple of days it did not occur again so difficult to get it now. it may be required to analyze previous conditions when it happene, what can be done in that case.

rahulbhavsar

Please guide through what can i check and where, to understand why that error update window had popped up and it is not occurring now.

vwolf

Hello Rahul,

If you know the precise moment the error window popped up, you could investigate the Windows Event Viewer logs at that time to check if there are any messages that indicate a disconnection. You could also check the PI Message logs at the same time using PI SDK Utility.

I have never seen this particular message, so I imagine it has something to do with the VBA code. Are you sure this is not an error message box invoked by the code itself? You could create another display like this but remove the VBA code, in order to identify if this error message comes indeed from the VBA code.

You could also try to reproduce this error by disconnecting the network connection or purpose.

Regards,

Victor

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  rahulbhavsar

Hi ALL,

Today again we received the similar error of the processbook display, please guide how to resolve this pop up thing

updaterror.PNG

vwolf

Hello Rahul,

Do you connect to a SQL Server using VBA Code? This error may be caused by a network error when the code is not able to connect to the SQL Server.

Regards,

Victor

rahulbhavsar

Hi Victor,

Thank you for the reply, please tell how can we look for if the SQL server is connecting through VBA code, i have opened the VBA code in PB display and looked for it but could not find if it is connecting to SQL server though code. Actually we have not build this display initially but currently managing and editing it.

vwolf

Hello Rahul,

Running the following code without changing anything will return the same DBNETLIB error:

Tools -> References -> Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.8 Library

Sub ConnectSqlServer()

Dim conn As ADODB.Connection
                                  Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
                                  Dim sConnString As String

' Create the connection string.
                                  sConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=MY_SERVER\MY_SQL_SERVER;" & _
                                                "Initial Catalog=MY_DATABASE;" & _
                                                "Integrated Security=SSPI;"

' Create the Connection and Recordset objects.
                                  Set conn = New ADODB.Connection
                                  Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

' Open the connection and execute.
                                  conn.Open sConnString
                                  Set rs = conn.Execute("SELECT * FROM Table1;")

' Clean up
                                  If CBool(conn.State And adStateOpen) Then conn.Close
                                  Set conn = Nothing
                                  Set rs = Nothing

End Sub

You may search your VBA code for similar keywords.

Regards,

Victor

1 of 1 people found this helpful