6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 4:34 PM by matthewskl

How to send values to PI from Access

matthewskl

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas of how to send values to PI using MS Access (2010 and higher).  The initial thought was to just use the same method as PiPutVal in Excel, but that appears to rely on PI datalink.  It looks like I can either try to reference the PI SDK with Access or maybe try to do PI-OLEDB inserts somehow.

Project requirements prevent me from using Manual Logger, I wish that I could.

Has anybody done this before?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Re: How to send values to PI from Access
          rschmitz

Hi Kevin,

We have a pretty good discussion on this topic over in this thread. There are a lot of options for you and what will work best for you depends on the needs of the project. If you could tell us some more about what the end goals are and the scale of the project we could better guide what you options you should look towards.

--Rob

Roger Palmen

Hmm, that thead goes the other way around: from PI to SQL. Here we need to go from Access to PI (although the title states the other way around)

Using interfaces, RDBMS is the way to go. A more simple approach would be to use a linked table in AF, but that is not the most reliable way (security, multi-user issues, etc..). Best and most stable option in my opinion is to use SQLserver Integration Services (or just a linked server pointing to your AccessDB) and frequently synchronize the table to an SQLserver table, and link that table in your AFDB.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Kevin,

You can try PI OLEDB and PI ODBC to insert/pull data from PI and MS access.

matthewskl

Thanks for the replies.  I was originally looking at this to get values into PI that would then transfer to an AF analysis and be sent on to our CMMS (Maintenance system)

Access -> PI -> AF Analysis -> CMMS

After some internal discussions we've decided that we'll probably just build a lean .net app (data needs to be cached due to lack of network) that will reach out to the CMMS via webservice to request upper and lower limits.  An operator will then do their system checks and enter a measurement value.  Once they are back within network range they will click a "send to CMMS" button which will make additional web service calls to send the values back.

.net app <--Webservices--> CMMS

It's not necessary for us to have PI in the mix on this system so we're going to bypass it...at least that's the thought for now.

Kevin