4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2018 2:43 PM by Boost01

PI Notifications across many AF servers

Boost01

Hi there,

I am setting up Notifications in our development environment and we have several AF servers that we want to monitor. I have installed the Notifications service and it is configured on one AF server, however we have several other servers that we want to monitor.

I have the following

AF Server 1 - AF and PI installed with analyses and Notifications

AF Server 2 - just AF and PI installed

AF Server 3 - just AF and PI installed

I want to be able to use the notifications service on Server 1 to monitor assets on server 2 and 3. Is that possible?

Kevin

• Re: PI Notifications across many AF servers
          rschmitz

Kevin,

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to monitor servers 2 and 3 you mean you want to monitor Performance Monitor points to send out notifications if something were to go a Bad state say like I/O Timeout, correct?

This should be possible you'll need to set up Performance Monitoring points for Servers 2 and 3 and write them to Server 1. Then you can set up a database on Server 1 to store that attribute information and send out notifications as needed.

Cheers,

Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Dan Fishman

The PI Notifications service does not support monitor of multiple AF servers.  You will need to install multiple copies of the PI Notifications service to monitor multiple PI AF Servers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                rschmitz

From Kevin's question, it sounds like he's not trying to hook up Notifications to be sent from multiple AF servers, but rather just use notifications connected to a single AF Server to send notifications based on Health Monitor points for said other AF servers. Although please correct me Kevin Haigh if I misunderstand.

--Rob

Boost01

Hi Robert,

Dan is correct, I want to use PI Notifications installed on one server to see and report on the health of attributes in other AF servers.

I have a bunch of assets across 3 AF servers, with attributes pointing to PI tags. We have services running that should update PI values every 12hrs or so (this is a configurable attribute so could change). I was going to use secsincechange of the PI tag value and see if it was larger than the configured interval. I was going to set up Event Frame generation on the template controlling these assets so I don't have to manually configure them every time I add a new one.

I was hoping to directly monitor the attributes through notifications, but I could set up PerfMon well. The only down side is that I can utilise templates quite so easily when new assets are added that I want to monitor.

I think the easiest solution for me is to install Notifications on each server then just copy my template information from the one I am currently building.

Kevin