9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 6:25 PM by rschmitz

Severity: Error

BASAVARAJ

Hi all,

please can you help me out this error

Timestamp: 06/14/2018 22:42:38.852 Message: PI Data server: 14.192.18.68 | PI Event Queue - An exception occurred while writing data to PI. OSIsoft.PI.Net.PITimeoutException: [-10722] PINET: Timeout on PI RPC or System Call.    at OSIsoft.PI.Net.AsyncOperationHandleExtensions.<AwaitAndThrowIfError>d__0`1.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)    at OSIsoft.PI.Net.Events.<WriteAsync>d__30.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)    at OSIsoft.Tau.ObserverBuffer.PI.PIEventQueue.<WriteToPIAsync>d__21.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)    at OSIsoft.Tau.ObserverBuffer.PI.PIEventQueue.<FlushAsync>d__14.MoveNext()

• Re: Severity: Error
          rschmitz

Hi Basavaraj,

The error you're getting is a generic disconnect error (you can read mroe about it in KB00232). This issue can happen if there is a network outage, if the Data Archive is unresponsive, or for some other reasons.

Most of the time I see this error, it's because there's a small network disconnection and it resolves itself quickly. If you're continuing to see the messages I would confirm that the data archive is up and running (the services as well as the machine itself) and that isn't running at it's resource limits for RAM and CPU.  I would then confirm connectivity between the node you received this error on and the Data Archive. Following that I might increase the data access and connection timeouts in the SDK if I suspected these machines were far apart geographically.

Cheers,

Rob

For clarity sake I'm posting the error with line breaks properly added. For whatever reason I couldn't edit the post to fix that formatting issue:

Timestamp: 06/14/2018 22:42:38.852 Message: PI Data server: 14.192.18.68 | PI Event Queue

- An exception occurred while writing data to PI. OSIsoft.PI.Net.PITimeoutException: [-10722] PINET: Timeout on PI RPC or System Call.   

at OSIsoft.PI.Net.AsyncOperationHandleExtensions.<AwaitAndThrowIfError>d__0`1.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---   

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)   

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)   

at OSIsoft.PI.Net.Events.<WriteAsync>d__30.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)   

at OSIsoft.Tau.ObserverBuffer.PI.PIEventQueue.<WriteToPIAsync>d__21.MoveNext()

at OSIsoft.Tau.ObserverBuffer.PI.PIEventQueue.<FlushAsync>d__14.MoveNext()

BASAVARAJ

Thank you..

Troubleshooting is needed for this ?

rschmitz

The problem may resolve by itself.  However, if this is a frequent problem or the problem persists, you can troubleshoot by doing the following:

• Increase the SDK data access timeout settings on the client machine. There are two timeouts for the SDK, a connection timeout and a data access timeout. The connection timeout default is 10 seconds.  The data access timeout is 60 seconds. Data access timeouts are the most likely cause of the error. You can run AboutPI-SDK.exe and click on Connections. Increase the Data Access connection Timeout to 120 or more seconds.
                  • Check the PI Server CPU and memory usage.
                  • Make sure all subsystems are running on the PI Server.
                  • Look at the snapshot and archive statistics (run piartool –as and piartool –ss from the PI\Adm prompt).
                  • Check the thread table of the various subsystems to see if the RPC threads are all busy processing requests by using System Management Tools (Open Operation -> PI Services -> Click on a Service and then check to see if threads are all "In Use") or use the piartool -thread <subsystem> -info command. Making several expensive calls to the PI Server can tie up all the RPC threads of a subsystem.

--Rob