2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 1:02 PM by RickSmithJr

PI Vision - Element Parent Changed

TimCarmichael

In managing multiple sites, there is at times a desire to establish a consistent 'look and feel' to the element hierarchy.

If an element is moved within the hierarchy to have a new parent, what happens to the PI Vision displays that referenced attributes in the element?

Is the relationship maintained or does it break?

If it is NOT maintained, as I suspect, how can the displays to updated to reflect the revised path to the attributes?

Are there tools available to update the displays or is it is a 'hunt and peck' approach?

• Re: PI Vision - Element Parent Changed
          jru

Hi Tim,

You are correct.  If you move an element to a new parent, the displays will show "Attribute Not Found" errors.  This is because technically, the element is no longer the same and is considered a brand new element. 

If this element occurs on 1 display, you will need to recreate the objects with the data item path pointed to the new element path.

If this element is found in a lot of displays, I'd recommend that you contact OSIsoft Tech Support.  We have internal scripts that will assist you on correcting your displays.

~Jesse

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: PI Vision - Element Parent Changed
            RickSmithJr

Welcome to the world of using strings to define paths...

I do most of my work on a development system and frequently have to rearrange things to try out new ideas or because I an analysis only works with a different style hierarchy... I use the asset context fields to let PI Vision find information for me whenever possible so I can restructure the AF hierarchy without breaking everything...

I recently changed the name of a template with the expectation I would have to modify the template name in my asset selection fields in PI Vision... Imagine my surprise when I checked the PI Vision display and the template names were already changed

rick