3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 4:07 PM by jjohl

Monitor the attributes of child elements from a parent element

arroyoesteban

Is there a way to Monitor the attributes of child elements from their parent element?

I´m interested,for instance, in creating a production line monitor where I add some Trends for some devices in the line.  The production line is my parent object and the devices are my child objects.

Once my display is ready, I would like then to Switch between production lines (by using the upper bar)  and automatically visualize the data for the child elements in the respective line. Is this possible?

I would like to do something similar for sections in a column.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Esteban

• Re: Monitor the attributes of child elements from a parent element
          jjohl

Hey Esteban,

Yes this is possible.  We can configure a display like this using Collections and the Asset Search filtering released in Vision 2017.  By adjusting our Asset Search criteria, we can decide which child element data appears in our display based on a root parent element.  I would recommend you watch the following videos to get more information:

OSIsoft: Use Collections to Create Asset-Monitoring Dashboards in PI Vision 2017 [v3.2.0.11] - YouTube

OSIsoft: Add Asset Filter Criteria and Navigation Links in PI Vision 2017 [v3.2.0.11] - YouTube

In the second video we create a dashboard showing Philadelphia and Springfield side by side, but this could also be done with the Asset Swap feature (the upper bar you mention) swapping between sites.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Jason

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Monitor the attributes of child elements from a parent element
              arroyoesteban

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer. I´ll try that out!

Another question:

Do you know if it´s possible to configure Vision not to Display attributes if they are not specified or in case of failed calculations?

I am trying to define some templates on AF for Equipment that sometimes may have an Attribute and sometimes not. I want to use the same Vision Display for both, so in case one Attribute is not specified (i.e., has no value or is not connected to a PI Point) this is simply not shown. By way of example, consider a Equipment type in which the inflow sometimes is measured in kg/h and sometimes in m3/h. I would like to have both attributes (mass flow and volumentric flow)  on the General Display, but only Show the one which is specified. Thus I can Change between Equipment (drop down bar) and see how my Display automatically updates the relevant Parameters.

Reading a bit I saw that for failed calculations there is a command NoOutput(), but as I don´t want to store my calculations as PI Points I did not further explore this Option.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Esteban