3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2018 8:40 PM by gachen

How to TURN OFF PI Buffer Subsystem or Buffering for only one Interface?

Yasin@Cat

Hi All,

I have couple of interfaces running in the system, I have mixture of interfaces running on 32-but and 64-bit applicaiton. I'm trying to configure a interface to connect with PI Server directly without Buffering, but its not allowing me.

Following test which was carried:

TEST 1: - FAILED

64 Bit - made BUFFERING=0 in piclient.ini in Dat folder

32 Bit - made BUFFERING=1 in piclient.ini in Dat folder

Result:

64 bit interface started sending data but 32 bit stopped sending data to PI Server. When I tried opening the buffer manager it was showing it has been shutdown due to disabling in 64 bit piclient.ini. Then enabled Buffering=1 in both the 64 bit and 32 bit interface. Data started flowing though, but failed to meeting the required of configuring one interface without buffering.

TEST 2: - FAILED

64 Bit - made BUFFERING=1 in piclient.ini in Dat folder

32 Bit - made BUFFERING=1 in piclient.ini in Dat folder

Removed the buffer dependency for 64 bit interface

Result:

64 bit interface stopped sending data

32 bit interface is sending data.

It would be great if anyone can provide your advice, if I'm missing something please.

Thanks

Yasin

• Re: How to TURN OFF PI Buffer Subsystem or Buffering for only one Interface?
          Eugene Lee

You can change the API Hostname field for the interface in PI ICU so that it doesn't match any of the entries in the buffered server list. For example, if your list has

piserver1

piserver2

and the interface is sending data to piserver1, then change the API Hostname to the FQDN or IP address of piserver1 such as piserver1.mycompany.com or 192.168.1.55 etc. When there is no match, the interface won't be buffered.

Yasin@Cat

Hi Eugene,

Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestion. I was looking at the ICU... I see the API Hostname cant be modified and when I looked at the PIClient.ini the buffered server list is showing below, so If I change the BufServ1 to XYZ which doesnt exist will my data flow will stop as buffer is not able to find the server which is listed?

Thanks,

Yasin

gachen

Several comments:

1. Could you describe in more detail your use case of needing some interfaces to be buffered and some not to be buffered? Typically we recommend all data sources to be buffered, so I just want to make sure I understand what the specific use case here is for some interfaces to not be buffered.
                  2. UFL is one of several interfaces where the data write can happen with PI API or PI SDK, which would alter where the buffering configuration change would need to be made to achieve your desired outcome. Is the UFL interface the one you want to be buffered, or not buffered?
                  3. What are the other interfaces installed on the same machine?
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful