5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 4:37 PM by gregor

Install a PIPerfMon without ICU

ccattell

Hello all,

I am trying to set up a PIPerfMon from a script, without the need to use the GUI of the ICU. The idea is to run the script on several VMs remotely.

When I create an interface and install it using the ICU, I have no issues. I can find the newly created PIPerfMon in my interface list inside PI System Management Tools.

However, when I create the PIPerfMon through the command prompt, it does not seem to appear in the interface list of PI System Management Tools. I have been able to install the service and configure it to be identical to the one created by the ICU.

My PIPerfMon.bat looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\Interfaces\PIPerfMon\PIPerfMon.exe" /PS=# /ID=196 /host=[myhost] /pisdk=0 /maxstoptime=120 /PercentUp=100 /perf=8 /f=00:01:00

I have installed the service using sc create and using the -install option when running PIPerfMon.exe from the cmd line. Neither seems to work. As far as I can tell, the service I create and the service the ICU creates are identical.

Is there some step the ICU performs that I am not doing when creating and configuring the service and .bat file from a script/command prompt?

Thank you,

Christian

• Re: Install a PIPerfMon without ICU
          gregor

Hello Christian,

If your question is what you need to do to have an interface registered to the PI Module Database (MDB) i.e. to see a PI Interface for Performance Monitoring appearing in PI SMT -> IT Points -> Performance Counters, than the answer is, you need to use PI ICU for the interface configuration. PI ICU is the tool registering the interface to the MDB underneath %OSI\Interfaces. If you configure an interface instance manually through a command prompt, you only register the interface service on the interface node.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ccattell

Hi Gregor,

Thank you for your fast response.

So is there a way to register the interface to the MDB without the use of the ICU?

Thank you,

Christian

gregor

Hello Christian,

You could create the MDB entries manually but I wouldn't do this and doubt this is a supported solution.

For what reason do you like to avoid using PI ICU? It's a bit old fashion but a useful tool and it keeps the interface startup files and MDB entries in sync.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      ccattell

Hi Gregor,

I was tasked with setting up a PIPerfMon interface on many VMs. I created a batch script to silently install the software and then set up the PIPerfMon interface. Once that script is run on all the needed VMs, I have a PowerShell script that sets up the PI Points for all the VMs.

The idea is that I could do this without needing to actually log on to each VM and manually set up the PIPerfMon, or anything else for that matter. I am just trying to automate as much as I possibly can . Seems as though this step is unavoidable.

Sorry for my unfamiliarity with PI. I am an intern and this little project is my first interaction with it.

Thanks for the help,

Christian

gregor

Hello Christian,

Sounds like an interesting project and I agree that signing in to many machines can be a tedious job.

I didn't say that it is impossible to manually create the MDB entries for all the instances but if you decide to walk that road, please be prepared for a lonesome walk. The tool OSIsoft offers for the purpose is PI ICU and this is what we support. When you select an interface instance in PI ICU it compares the configuration found in startup files against what is found in MDB. PI ICU than informs and prompts to decide which settings are supposed to take precedence. You could use this functionality to assess the quality of your work and to potentially fix issues.

On the other hand, if you have a script to configure the PI Points, you don't need the PI SMT plug-in designed for the purpose. This also means, you don't need the settings in PI MDB. I would however suggest you to carefully document the configuration you are creating.