3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 7:39 AM by andreas

Collecting data, historical data, acknowledge, and receive events(alarms) from PI server

recursionsw

We are new to PI system and we are trying to decide whether to user PI SDK or PI OPC to achieve our development goals.

What we need to do:

1. retrieve data from PI server

2. retrieve historical data from PI server

3. Get event (alarm) notification from PI server

4. Acknowledge alarm event to PI server (write ability)

Please share your knowledge with PI system. 

Thanks!

• Re: Collecting data, historical data, acknowledge, and receive events(alarms) from PI server
          andreas

Neil,

it all depends. Your goals would need some more description - but if I should choose between PI SDK and PI OPC I would clearly go for PI SDK as it exposes more of the PI Servers functionality.

However, if you are in the early development phase and you can wait for the release of AF SDK with RDA, you should look into this one: vcampus.osisoft.com/.../15224.aspx

Alarms and Events is the part that needs clarification. If you look into PI Notifications - PI OPC is out of the game anyhow.

• Re: Collecting data, historical data, acknowledge, and receive events(alarms) from PI server
              recursionsw

Andreas,

Thanks for the reply.

When do you expect the release of AF SDK with RDA? We will need to have a PI solution within a month or two.

Correct me if I understand wrong, PI Notification is not part of PI SDK, right? So if our application needs to receive alarms and events notification from PI server, we will also need to use PI Notification?

Let me tell you a bit more about what our application currently is doing. Our app connects to an InTouch application using DDE to receive alarm state change notification, retrieve alarm values and unit of measure, write ack request back to InTouch. We retrieve historical data by accessing InTouch histoian database via SQL query. We have learned that most of our new customers have OSI PI products so we need to extend our app to support OSI PI with all aforementioned functions.

I understand we can retrieve data and historical data using PI SDK and get alarms and events through PI notification (correct?), how about the write request to PI server? Is it supported in PI SDK?

Thanks!