9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 1:51 AM by tlebay

Coresight Development Documentation

RyanBrown

Hello all,

I've recently been looking at the capabilities of Coresight with a particular interest in developing against it's web services. I've only found one webinar on the subject and have not been able to locate any further guides on development with Coresight.

Can you tell me if there is anything further available or is the best option just going through the methods to find out what the capabilities are.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Re: Coresight Development Documentation
          Ahmad Fattahi

Ryan,

Please see the "PI Coresight web service sample" in the Download Center (Choose Extras from the drop down). Also accompanying that is the presentation at vCampus Live! 2011.

RyanBrown

Thanks for that.

I'd watch the presentation before and found it very useful. One comment was that I did find it difficult to read the code with it being only half screen ( I may stand alone with that observation though... ) but it was all explained very well.

Hadn't found the web services example though so will have a look at that.

Ryan

Ahmad Fattahi

I agree it is not too easy to include the speaker and the slides in a readable manner on one screen. That's why we posted the code separately. Also, that's another reason to be in vCampus Live! 2012

tlebay

Hi Ryan,

I'm glad you are taking a look at this web service.  The development team has discussed the possibility of making enhancements to service.  If you have time to give us some feedback on how well it meets your needs or how you plan to use it we would really appreciate it.

Tom LeBay- OSIsoft Product Manager

RyanBrown

Hi Tom,

I'll have a better look and certainly give you any feedback I can give. At the moment this is more of a discovery mission and I've been asked to find out about Coresight and being a developer I'm looking at it from the angle of integration with other systems.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend on it yet but will be looking to see if I can do anything with SharePoint WebParts using your web services. I've also got to figure out the security behind it but again not had time to properly go though it all.

Coresight does look very promising and dare I say could even develop into some web based version of ProcessBook. There is probably more functionality from the user perspective that I imagine could be included but for a starting point it's very cool and very easy to use for end users.

tlebay

Got it.  Got to love the discovery mission assignment.  :-)

FYI: We will be making a new version of PI Coresight available in the next week or two.

RyanBrown

Yeah always learning...

Where I work we have a conference call every month and part of that is someone showing something cool to everyone else. I'm going to be show casing Coresight next month in our conference - gulp.

It would be interesting to know what is in the new Coresight version. I'm sure there is probably a link you can just post but would give me something to talk about. Also any insider info would be brilliant

RyanBrown

I got a chance today to download the code example but could not get it to run. Got a strange error - I will need to launch it again to get the exact error message but after doing some research I got pulled off it. If I can't figure it out I'll post another thread about that.

I'm now hoping to tie in Coresight with AF for the demonstration. Basically have a notification automatically create a Coresight display taking information from the assets involved. I will make time to start this next week. I need to give credit to Rhys for that idea.

I did have one question about it being developed in Sliverlight. From what I've seen Silverlight is pretty slick and I've done some development in it before. Unfortunately I've heard some rumours that Microsoft might be walking away from it and just wondered if there was any thoughts on that. It might simply be that I've got that wrong but think from the internal conversations I've had it could be a question I get presented with and be good to know the answer

tlebay

There is some question about the long term future of Silverlight.  Silverlight version 5 was released just a couple of months ago and Microsoft will support it for the next 20 years.  The questions stem from the contrary behavior that the next version of Microsoft SharePoint will use HTML5 and not Silverlight.  Several Microsoft watchers have taken this as a signal that Microsoft is moving away from Silverlight in the future.

This link may provide further insight: www.zdnet.com/.../11391