1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 1:51 PM by sraposo

    Event Frames analyses not working after upgrade to PI AF 2017 R2




      Recently, we had an upgrade of PI AF from 2015 to 2017 R2 version.


      Post this upgrade, we have observed that the Event Frames analyses configured in a given database have stopped working. Also, when we try to access the Analyses tab in System Explorer, it throws an unhandled exception as below and the PSE closes out.


      Please find the snapshot below FYR :



      When checked in the management tab in PSE, below error is observed :



      Initially we are suspecting this to be a known issue with AF 2017 R2 release - 123039 - 2.7.5 plugin with time true should not crash 2.8.5+ client , as the concerned event frames have been created with a lower version of PI AF (2012).

      As per the description in the known issue article, since this issue is reported in 2016 version, we did not face this earlier as we have upgraded AF from 2015 to 2017 R2.


      Along with AF upgrade, the Analyses service was also upgraded to 2017 R2 version.


      We have consulted Techsupport on this and the case is logged for this issue.


      However, we would require some assistance in regards to some inputs in regards to this issue as I am struggling to find any relevant material.


      The event frames analyses for other databases are seen to be working fine post upgrade.


      Could you please assist in this regards ?


      Please do let me know if any further details are needed.


      Thanks and Regards,

      Rohit Shende

        • Re: Event Frames analyses not working after upgrade to PI AF 2017 R2

          Hello Rohit,


          Based on the case notes, it seems like there were two issues:


          1) You encountered the bug logged in WI 123039

          2) You ran into an issue during the upgrade of PIFD as the upgraded DB is in a bad state (missing records in the dbo.AFAnalytisTemplateRule table).


          From the last entry in the case, the product specialist asked if it was possible to send us a copy of the DB prior to the upgrade so we can try and upgrade it on our end and see if we can reproduce the issue you encountered. The other alternative would be to investigate the log output of the go.bat script that is used to upgrade the SQL database.


          I can see on our FTP that a database backup was uploaded a few minutes ago. I will restore this backup and investigate the issue you encountered as the product specialist working on this case has the day off today.


          I'll get back to you via email. Once we've identified the root cause and solution we can come back to this thread to let the other readers know.


          In the meantime, if you have any questions let us know!