4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 7:21 PM by gmichaud-verreault

PI DDE Interface and NOV Amphion Ampicom

rcarter

This is a long shot, but it never hurts to ask.  We are trying to get data from an NOV Amphion Control System.  This is a proprietary control system created by National Oilwell Varco used on Drilling Rigs to control the Drilling Tools.  Within their system, they use Java based controllers in place of traditional PLCs.  They have a program called Amphicom that can read data out of their controllers and into excel via DDE.  I have never used this and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this setup.

• Re: PI DDE Interface and NOV Amphion Ampicom
          vkaufmann

Hi Richard,

Is your question in regards to how to get data from this control system into PI?

--Vince

rcarter

Yes it is.  It is a 3rd party system so we cannot simply put WWOI gateway on it and convert to OPC or I would have done that a long time ago.  RDBMS into the WW Historian is proving to be problematic in regards to the Queries that we are running.

gmichaud-verreault

Using RDBMS to query the WW historian will always be a bit slow, since the data from the Wonderware Historian is not stored in SQL, but in data blocks. The SQL Views simply use a special driver under the hood to query the data in their data blocks.

If you have the possibility to use the PI Connector for WonderwareHistorian (WWHistorian 2012 R2 and above), the performance will be significantly improved.

Edit: Scratch that, you mention using having issues using RDBMS to get data in WW Historian not PI - misread. See my other response below instead.

Gabriel

gmichaud-verreault

Hi Richard,

Looking at  National Oilwell Varco website, it claims that it supports the following:

Supports industry-standard formats, including WITS, WITSML, OPC, LAS, ASCII, and Modbus

I would suggest also discussing this with NOV, if there is a specific recommendation, but you would have the possibility to bring this data in PI using the PI Connector for OPC UA, PI Interface for OPC DA, PI Interface for Modbus Ethernet, or the PI Connector for NOV WITSML. If you can share some additional details on your implementation, what kind of data you want to bring in to PI, what volume and rate, we could guide you better.

Gabriel