5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 4:44 PM by Kata

How to monitor PI AF Notifications on multiple servers

Kata

Hi,

I'm looking for a quick and easy way to check if PI Notifications are running on multiple servers. It's quite time-consuming to log in to 5-10 different servers and check if they are in running status or not.

I was thinking about using Powershell, but there's no cmdlet I could find for Notifications.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Re: How to monitor PI AF Notifications on multiple servers
          gregor

Hello Katalin,

Windows exposes Performance Counters for every process in Memory. The Performance object is Process and the Elapsed Time is a heartbeat indicating the seconds since the process was started. Performance Counters can be collected remotely (with appropriate permissions) and one option is using the PI Interface for Performance Monitor to have Performance Counter data recorded to PI Points. You could use a single PI Vision or PI ProcessBook display to monitor if Elapsed Time Counters are actually updating.

Kata

Hi Gregor,

Thanks. But I'm looking for an easy way of checking this. I don't want to build it to PI. I'm not sure about Performance counters as they are not dedicated to services, rather their activity. Like you can get memory counters with Powershell, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a simple way to check this status of multiple notifications on multiple servers.

sraposo

Hi Katalin,

I don't think there is an easy way to do this with the Legacy Notification product. There might be a way to do this programmatically, I'd have to do a bit more research to figure that out.

That being said, it may be a good idea for you to consider upgrading to Notification rules  (AF 2016 R2 or later). There are too many benefits for me to list here, but in relation to your request, there are useful performance counters such as "Notification rules in error" and "running notification rules" which aren't present in the legacy version.

As Gregor mentioned, you could historize these counters and compare the value to the value you would expect.

Hope this helps,

Seb

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Eugene Lee

As Sebastien mentioned, we recommend you to upgrade.

If you are working with Legacy Notifications, you can use AN SDK to query the status of the Notification Rule. The reference is here. If you can't see it, it means you do not have the permissions to access it.

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Downloads/File/a7210bf0-5833-449e-a1b5-5bda5dc4cb1c

You can maybe use the ANNotification.RestartRequired Property to check if the Notification Rule requires a restart. If it returns false, then you are good.

I want to say again that this is old technology. So best is still to upgrade.

2 of 2 people found this helpful