7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 9:37 PM by MKirk

Porting event frames

MKirk

I'm trying to migrate a set of event frames from one pi server host/db to another.

I have this tree:

Event Frame Search X

-E001

-----E001-002

-----E001-001

----------E-NODE-001

I select E001 (parent) and select "file->export to file" but when I import it ("file->import from file") I only see the child event frames, not E001.  How can I do this properly?

Thanks

• Re: Porting event frames
          Asle Frantzen

Mark,

If you go to the Library section of PI System Explorer, and right click on the database (root node of tree) and do an export there, you're presented with a dialog where you can select the period of EF's you want included. For the checkboxes, I normally check the two top ones ('Include All Referenced Objects', and 'Include Default Values') if my export is going to be transferred to another AF server. If my export is intended as a backup I might want to restore into the same server I also include the checkboxes 'Include Security Settings' and 'Include Unique IDs'.

Edit: Keep in mind this is a full database export, so you'll get everything - not just the EF's.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              MKirk

Thanks Asle.

This is an Event Frame Search.  I tried the method you outlined but it didn't migrate the event frame searches.  I didn't see event frame searches in objects listed in the "Library" either.

I tried exporting the parent event frame search.  Looking in the XML file I see all the child objects in it.  I search and replace all occurrences of the old server name to the new one.  Then I try to import the file.  It says it is successful but nothing shows up in "event frames".

Asle Frantzen

Mark,

Event Frame searches (and Element searches) are not part of the database, it seems. If I create either type of search and then open the database from another computer they are not present. I did, however, notice that an old search appeared in the second computer I tried at. This search was not related to my test database, so I switched between databases to test it out - and the conclusion seems to be that searches are stored locally at the client (computer with PI System Explorer), and since they aren't part of the AF database they won't be exported either.

So you're going to have to make sure you've exported the actual Event Frames before setting up a new search to try looking for them. (PS! The default EF search only looks 30 days back)

1 of 1 people found this helpful