2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 2:23 AM by Lal_Babu_Shaik

Historical Archive Overwritten

PaddyS

Hi,

I've had a situation were an archive that was used 5 months ago as has been used again as primary again during archive shift and resulted in an archive gap and the original data missing.

I'm trying to get a better understanding as to why this would happen but I'm unable to see anything that stands out in the pimsg logs unless I've missed something I should be looking for?

I've got a working backup routine so its not been an issue to recover the archive to prevent data loss and I've not had a recurrence since.

For Information:

Auto archive is setup

Plenty of disc space was available

Empty archives were available

Any information on what could cause this or what to look for in the log files would be appreciated

Thanks

• Re: Historical Archive Overwritten
          mtippett

Hi Paddy,

That is an unusual situation.  The archive subsystem should create new archives as needed so long as auto archiving is turned on and there is sufficient space on the archive drive.

As the archive subsystem is responsible for everything to do with the archives, as a start I would filter the logs by messages from piarchss and see what comes up.  Having said that, it may be worth opening a case with OSIsoft techsupport about this issue as they may be better placed to look into this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Historical Archive Overwritten
            Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Paddy

Request you to check turning parameter - Archive_OverwriteData OnAutoShiftFailure. If "Archive_AutoArchiveFileRoot" is not available, then Auto archive file creation will not happen. Another case where pitimeout.tbl is corrupted.I would suggest to contact techsupport to identify the root cause with archive overwritten issue.

Thanks,

Lal

1 of 1 people found this helpful