4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 10:47 PM by KarlRickards

Unable to connect OPC client to OPC server

PIAdminEnelGP

Hi team,

I'm unable to connect the OPC client to the OPC Server, so far DCOM is configured as it should (I followed the KB where it shows information on how to do that). The main problem is that the interface is unable to connect to the OPC Server (There was a change on domain from the OPC Server, but as we are using the IP it shouldn't have any problem) The error the interface is showing is:

Also when trying to connect to the OPC Server with the OPC Client I got this message.

But when using any other kind of OPC tool (Matrikon) I can connect without any problem and I can see the tags and values there.

Also using another OPC tool (OPC Rescue) I can connect without any problem and I can see the tags and values there.

So this shouldn't be a problem with DCOM as far as I know, then why is there is no way I can connect to the server with the ICU Interface?

And also the same tag (and all tags from the interface) I can see the values on the Matrikon Client - has a value of Intf-Shut on the PI Server

So far I want to call support for this, but there is some office related stuff and they are taking quite sometime to sign and approve the SLA. So I want to know what to do while I wait as I can tell for myself that there might be data getting on the Server.

• Re:  Unable to connect OPC client to OPC server
          gmichaud-verreault

Hi Alan,

Have you tried explicitly writing the OPC Server Name, then starting the interface interactively? Also, when you are testing with the other clients, are you running them from the same node where the OPC Interface resides?

Additionally, the OPC Client (and the ICU plugin) leverage OPCEnum to find the OPC Servers. Can you make sure that it is properly running and that its DCOM settings are set to default? Component services>Computers>My Computer>DCOM Configuration>OPCEnum>Right Click>Properties.

• Launch and Activation Permissions - Use default
          • Access Permissions - Use Default
          • Configuration Permissions - Use Default

Gabriel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              PIAdminEnelGP

Hi Gabriel,

Yes I have, I tried connecting first to the localhost as we have a Matrikon OPC simulation, which the ICU takes as a good input for the server and can connect to it.

And then I tried typing the node and name of the server, hitting apply and running interactively, when doing this I just got a lot of this DEBUG MESSAGES where it reads the points from the OPC Server, so there should be a connection between them right? Besides the message from the ICU telling me that is not possible to connect to it right?

And this took a while till it finishes as they are more than 20K of tags. After it finished I still see them as their value as Intf Shut:

Maybe there is more information on it, does this saves any kind of log (if it does where does it is saved?) so I can read it in further detail as the command line sometimes is to fast to take a screenshot and try to read it.

And accoring to the OPCEnum yes its running and it has the Properites as follow.

gmichaud-verreault

The behavior you are seeing in the logs from the OPC Interface is completely different. The AddItems occurs after a successful connection to the OPC Server is made. The AddItems failing simply means that the itemID (InstrumentTag in the PI Point) does not exist or is not accessible in the address space. Intf Shut is simply the state being written by the interface to the points when the interface shuts down. You can look at the full logs using the About PI SDK utility or from the command prompt:

%pihome%\adm\pigetmsg -st "dd-MMM-yyyy hh:mm:ss" -et "dd-MMM-yyyy hh:mm:ss" > outputfile

You may also want to review the logs on the OPC Server. Additionally, take one of the tags in error, and make sure that it is in a good state on the OPC Server side using the exact same ItemID as what is in the instrumenttag.

KarlRickards

Hi Alan,

Gabriel has given some great guidance here how to troubleshoot this issue.  The interface obviously is able to connect to the OPC Server as you have displayed by running interactively and your last screen capture proves this by the message 'Have at least required percent good tags' followed by 'Device Status=0'.  After you receive this message, do all the tags for this pointsource in PI SMT>Data>Current Values read Intf Shut?

When using DCOM and shifting things around on a known working network can always introduce potential issues.  If you have not done so already, can you reboot the server the interface is installed on?  I have seen this issue in the past and a simple reboot of the server fixed this problem.  You could also try a repair or reinstall of the ICU (not the OPC Interface). 

On one of the tags you are seeing 'The ItemID is not in the server address space' have you verified the instrumenttag is the same as when viewing the tag in OPC Explorer?

A little trick since you have a large point count, temporarily shift all the tags apart from a small subset (~500) to an arbitrary pointsource so the interface does not take as long to startup. 

Karl