3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 10:01 AM by gregor

Going from PIBatch to PI Event Frames

DDEVOCH

Hi all, We currently have a Delphi application using the PI SDK com interface. We now need access to the PI Event Frames (iso PIBatch) to retrieve batch start & end times.

PI AF SDK only is available as .NET. Did anyone have experience using the AF SDK in a none .NET environment?

• Re: Going from PIBatch to PI Event Frames
          Rick Davin

Hi Dirk,

We do not officially support AF SDK outside of Microsoft's approved languages for .NET (C#, C++, VB.NET, and F#).  There are instances where some people have gotten it working with unsupported add-on frameworks such as R.NET or Python.NET, but again we don't support such configurations.  If Delphi supports REST, then we recommend PI Web API.  Or you may consider switching to C# (fun fact: Delphi, Turbo Pascal, and C# were all developed by Anders Hejlsberg).

DDEVOCH

Rick,

Thx for your quick reply.

So we’re looking at a much bigger app development then what we expected in our PI upgrade project.

The alternative is keeping PI Batch alive, which is also not idealy.

Groeten, Greetings,

Dirk De Vocht

De Vocht Dirk

PGS Puurs | Project Leader Process Automation

Office +32 3.890.84.08

Pfizer Manufacturing Belgium NV | Rijksweg 12 - 2870 Puurs – Belgium | 0400.778.165 RPR Mechelen

This e-mail, its contents and any attached file are intended for the named addressee only. This e-mail contains information which may be confidential and which may also be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system; you may not copy or use it in any way, or disclose, distribute or disseminate this e-mail or its content (or any parts of its content) to anyone. If you are the intended recipient, please only forward this message and/or any attached files to any relevant person on a need to know basis. All messages sent to and from Pfizer may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is considered to accept these risks.

Nederlandstalige disclaimer<https://www.pfizer.be/nl-be/disclaimer> - Disclaimer en français<https://www.pfizer.be/nl-be/node/2001>.

gregor

Hi Dirk,

PI Batch is based on PI Module Database. You don't get access to PI Module Database through AF SDK nor PI Web API. On the other hand, we strongly recommend using Asset Framework and to migrate from PI Batch to Event Frames. I agree that your migration project will be a bigger one as it involves a custom application which needs to be migrated together with with moving from PI Batch to Event Frames.

I suggest looking into the PI Batch to Event Frames migration first and believe Paula Baquer's document titled UC17EU-OSIsoft-Murdock-BatchToEventFramesMigration_Outline is a good introduction on the subject.

I had my first object oriented programming experience with Delphi 5 roughly 15 years ago and believe these days it was really the best Developer Tool on the market. I am not up-to-date with current releases anymore also because using Delphi means a major investment while many other Developer Tools are available for free or at a way lower price. If you plan developing against AF SDK, I recommend using Visual Studio 2015 or later.

1 of 1 people found this helpful