7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 9:44 AM by Sreeni13

Real-time Weather

jwright

I currently have an image that I have created, and I would like to somehow use weather API's to display the information.

Has anyone been able to do this in PI Vision or PI Processbook?

I would like to overlay my PI Data onto something like this: Murdock, KS | Weather Maps, Radar and Satellite | WeatherBug

• Re: Real-time Weather
          John Messinger

Justin,

Is this a continuation of your earlier question in the thread Interactive Maps? Are you looking to pull weather data from the Weatherbug site and have it overlayed in PI Vsion or PI ProcessBook on the image you have created? When you mention

I would like to somehow use weather API's to display the information

are you meaning that you want to use these API's to pull data from this service into PI, or publish it from PI to an external weather map service?

igreguri

Hi Justin,

I solved this with YoWindow - Weather with magic

Regards,

Igor

jwright

Igor Greguric, could you please explain a little bit more about how this is done? Or how you were able to achieve this?

John Messinger, I am thinking that there has to be a way that I can show real-time weather movement on a map, and then place multistate objects on the map to represent my PI Data.

Thanks

igreguri

You have there free weather widget which contains location information and background image.

Weather Widget, HTML weather, Flash weather

Put it on your own web-page.

YoWindow FAQ

Regards,

Igor

John Messinger

Justin,

I'm going to make the assumption that you want to do this using PI system visualisation, and not a third-party or external toolset. Working to this assumption, PI Vision would be the tool of choice due to it's extensibility model (albeit still in CTP state). Time for the disclaimer - I have not personally done this (yet), but I believe the concepts to be sound.

I don't know if you've come across Marcos Vainer Loeff's excellent blog post series about Developing the Google Maps custom symbol for PI Vision 3 - Part 1. There are a total of 3 posts in that series. I would suggest that Google Maps would be a good choice for what little I know of your use case given the ability to customise these maps with various types of layers etc. If Google Maps is not to your liking, then there are alternatives such as MapBox or OpenStreetMap, though I can't speak as to how easy it would be to bring these into a custom PI Vision symbol or how useful/easy/well documented their API's are - you would be on your own there. Taking Marcos' work on the Google Maps symbol, you could probably enhance that to suit your own specific map requirements. Google Maps isn't just about simple markers on a map - I've seen examples of heat maps, bubble maps etc so I know there's a reasonable degree of flexibility there. Going back to your original post where you referenced WeatherBug, their maps are based on MapBox and OpenStreetMap so it appears that similar kind of layer flexibility is there.

This kind of mapping option is probably a better choice that trying to overlay dynamic data onto a static image, but it depends on what your full use case is, budget to implement a solution, and your own skills/capabilities against the degree of difficulty to implement. The other aspect of this is if you are using co-ordinates for assets stored in PI AF then one of these mapping options would make it easier for dynamic placement based on location.

If you only need to use a static image, and are going to hand-place your symbols for displaying the weather data then the question becomes one more of 'how do I get weather data in to PI' rather than 'how do I replicate WeatherBug, Wunderground or any other weather mapping service in PI Vision'. If this is the case, Jon Croonenberghs has already pointed you to a useful resource on accessing weather data and bringing it into PI. This is not the only option, but it's probably the easiest route (I've used the PI-HTML interface a number of times for accessing my local weather data).

The best (but potentially most costly) option is if you already have access to Esri ArcGIS as a geospatial platform to then use the PI Integrator for Esri ArcGIS. Again, no real personal experience with ArcGIS, but I've seen some amazing stuff done with it, and with the latest version of the Integrator now having the ability for historical replay you could go beyond just the current state of weather. You still need to get the data into PI in the first place, but again refer to the resource previously mention by Jon.

jcroonenberghs

Hi Justin,

We have published a White Paper which does describe how to retrieve weather data from the National Weather Service. This includes how to retrieve forecast weather data.

Public Weather and Environmental Internet Data Sources Integration into the PI System.pdf

I also have seen examples of simple map images in PI Vision with overlaid weather station values.  Below is a PI Vision screen showing real-time and forecast temperatures for NWS Stations.

Winter is out to get us, as you can see from the NWS forecast displayed in PI Vision.

Regards,

Jon

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      Sreeni13

Hey Justin, Are you looking for something like having a weather forecast like the one in the following image? If so you can do it through the Custom Development of a PiVision Symbol, where the symbol would be developed to display and forecast the weather of a particular location.You can get a JavaScript for the forecasting from many websites too.

Regards,

Sreenivas