AnsweredAssumed Answered

Small PI Server setup and retrieving data using JDBC

Question asked by Adam Milton-Barker on Oct 8, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2018 by Adam Milton-Barker

Hi guys, I have installed the packages mentioned in the docs for a small server (All on one machine):

• SQL Express
  • Pi AF Server / PI Data Archive
  • Pi OLEDB Enterprise
  • PI SQL DAS

The following we did not install

• Notifications
  • Analytics
  • Crawler

Our aim is to setup a simple server with some test data and create software (Java/Linux) using the JDBC driver to collect data from the server. The documentation has not been too helpful and fairly confusing with out of date information / looping back to the same place also documentation takes many minutes to load, sometimes failing to load (You can see a number of errors in developer console).

One issue so far is when testing the PI SQL Commander Lite tool, when looking at the Object Explorer I do not see what is shown in the documentation:

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.01.20.png

You can see above  that the names are totally different, however if I expand the directories it does look similar layout, but following the guide for queries returns no data. I was wondering if this was a bug or maybe I had missed a step along the way. If data is not provided do you know where we can access some test data to import into the database ?

If anyone can provide simple steps to completing the server set up, or their experiences with developing Java apps with JDBC it would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Outcomes