4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 3:54 AM by Alanna

Create AF Elements with different versions using AF Builder

Alanna

Hi,

I need to create about 2,500 elements with up to 4 or 5 versions each.  Can this be dione with PI Builder?

I've tried using the VersionEffectiveDate and/or VersionObsoleteDate to create new versions but it just updates the element without creating a new version (in fact using the VersionObsoleteDate deletes the element).

How do I create element versions in bulk?

• Re: Create AF Elements with different versions using AF Builder
          Dan Fishman

Alanna,

I don't think they are actually deleting the version, rather they are not showing up since a query data is not being used in PI System Explorer.  If you into PI System Explorer, and set a query date before the VersionObsoleteDate, I suspect that you will see elements that appeared missing when using PI Builder. 

I am pretty sure you can create versions using PI Builder, but I'm not sure how to query them using PI Builder!

Regards,

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Alanna

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not trying to retrieve existing element versions in PI Builder, I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to create them from Pi Builder.

After publishing from Pi Builder, I go to PSE, refresh it, and the element has updated rather than creating a new version.  You can easily see if the element has multiple versions in PSE because it adds a little version symbol (analogue clock) to the bottom right corner of the element cube symbol in the hierarchy.  You can also go to the versions tab to see the details of each version.  It's definitely not creating a new version as desired.

You are right about VersionObsoleteDate though.  Setting the query date in PSE to before the obsolete date does make it 'appear'.  Still only one version though.

You mention that you are pretty sure you can create versions from PI Builder. Can you recall how?

I'm using PI Builder 2017 R2 if that's relevant (and PSE 2017 R2).

Regards,

Alanna

David Hearn

PI Builder does not support creating new versions, it only modifies the latest version of an element. But you can modify the Effective and Obsolete dates of the latest version. Your best approach would be to create an SDK application to do this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful