13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2018 7:27 AM by night2day

AFEventFrameSearch ignores maxCount

night2day

implementing an AF interop wrapper I stumble about something I don't know ist a bug or my mistake.

Searching for Event Frames has a maxCount of 1000

But the resultlist shows 1165 results.

The search seems to ignore the Maxcount Parameter.

Is this a known bug or is my interpretation of a paged maxCount wrong?

Greetings
      Wolfgang

• Re: AFElementSearch ignores maxCount
          John Messinger

Hi Wolfgang,

The parameter in question for the AFSearch.FindEventFrames method is actually to set the returned collection page size, not the maximum number of objects returned by the search. This particular search returns a paged collection, so this parameter sets the size of each page. Refer to the remarks section of AFGlobalSettings.CollectionPageSize for more information about this.

Cheers,

John

night2day

Hello John,

your link says the following as expected...

"Returns the number of items on a page of a paged collection.            The default value is 1000."

Maybe i have a wrong understanding.

My startIndex is 0 and maxCount is 1000. So I expect a resultset of maximum 1000 items (index 0-999). 
              If the resultset has 1000 items I would call for startIndex 1001  to ... for the next page.
              But as you see the first page has 1165 items on the first page  despite a startindex 0 and maxCount 1000 on my query.

I'am confused

Wolfgang

John Messinger

Hi Wolfgang,

Paging is for data retrieval - 'pages' of data are sent to the client as a means of chunking a large dataset retrieved from the server into smaller datablocks for sending back to the caller. It's a strategy for optimising the return of data over the wire. In this particular instance, search results are sent to the client in pages of 1000 objects, but the final result set contained in your IEnumerable after the AFSDK call has completed will be the entire search results (1165) based on your search criteria. IEnumerable and IList objects don't have 'pages' of objects. If you want a 'paged' view in your client, you would have to implement your own logic to extract data from the List object as pages with a specific object count per page.

What you are seeing is the correct behaviour for this method call.

Cheers,

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      night2day

Thank you for explaining this.
                      It is a little bit strange for me because frameworks i used before eighter send a "page" as a requested part once per call or  "fromindex, and  itemcount.
                      This includes PIAPI and many more.  What is the users benefit of the behaviour above if one cannot control the pages?  If one request data  mistakenly without or with a

wrong filter the resultset has millions of items and it maybee freezes the client. If I cannot control the amount at query the massive server and network load is not avoidable.

I take it, but can't see the logic.

Thank you

Wolfgang

John Messinger

I think that where you want to return a specific number of items, in this case Event Frames, perhaps a call such as AFEventFrame.FindEventFrames is more appropriate. Note however that this doesn't use the newer Search functionality, but I think may return a result set more in line with what you were expecting.

The AFEventFrameSeach class method of FindEventFrames specifically noters that it returns "an enumerable list of the event frames found using the search tokens for this search object", whereas AFEventFrame.FindEventFrames returns "the collection containing the specified page of AFEventFrame objects which match the specified query string". I see enough difference in those descriptions to determine that the returned results of each method is quite different.

Yes, I agree there is potential for the client to run out of memory or exhibit other undesirable behaviours if a significantly large dataset is returned from using the AFEventFrameSearch class. I suspect that you would need to implement your own strategies to mitigate such an outcome.

David Hearn

You really don't want to use the older obsolete AFEventFrame.FindEventFrames method. One reason is it will not handle evaluation of attribute value filters the way you would expect since those filters must be done in the client if they have a data reference defined and you will typically get less items than the number you requested. Since the new searches return an IEnumerable, you should just exit out of your foreach loop when you get the number of items that you desire or if moving into a List then use the Enumerable Take method to take the first N results.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            night2day

By the way. I see the topic i wrote is wrong. It should be AFEventFrameSearch not AFElementSearch. Is there a moderator who can change this?

• Re: AFEventFrameSearch ignores maxCount
                        Eugene Lee

If you are going to use paging and you expect more than one page of results. You might want to opt into caching for your search by setting the AFSearch.CacheTimeout Property.

Regarding paging, the client application simply needs to iterates over and consumes the resulting collection in a foreach loop. All the work of the page processor task is hidden from the end user so the developer only needs to iterate over the collection to obtain the results. If the collection is empty by the time the next page is requested, then the foreach loop will "block" until the next page arrives from the server, is processed, and is added to the queue/collection. You can experiment with the page size to try to optimize your performance.

Check this thread for more info about this pattern.

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/8329

The pattern that you mention about max count normally has a cookie involved in the parameter such as

PIServer.FindChangedPIPoints Method so that it can remember the last position in the search.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • Re: AFEventFrameSearch ignores maxCount
                            John Messinger

That's a good point Eugene. What I think happened in the code snippet originally posted is that the creation of a new List object from the IEnumerable returned by the FindEventFrames method is what results in the new object showing all the search results in a single collection. The SDK method returns an IEnumerable so that results can be streamed as pages of data and iterated over, as Eugene described. By converting the IEnumerable to a List, you are pulling out whatever data is currently in the IEnumerable into a fixed non-paged collection - fixed in that the number of items won't change unless you explicitly Add or Remove items from the collection.

night2day

Thank you all,

i think i have to digest the information and decide how i handle this.

Grreetings

Wolfgang

vkaufmann

Here's a nice plug for the work Rick Davin did to help put a nice bow on all this AF Search discussion. I find this to be the definitive source:

https://www.osisoft.com/Presentations/LiveCoding--Getting-the-Most-Out-of-the-New-AFSearch/

--Vince