2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2018 2:58 PM by Paul_Booth

Using multiple space character for text formatting in PIVision

Paul_Booth

I'm trying to format a text field in PIVision which is spaced out for formatting purposes. I could provide multiple little boxes and place then as I wish, but this makes it a lot less convenient. The PIVision text formatting pane makes this easy: enter multiple spaces. However, rendering causes these to disappear. I know HTML does something about combining literal space characters. However, as a user, I shouldn't have to care about what mechanism PIVision is using: it's formatting box allows me to use multiple spaces, so I believe it should then be able to make good on this. Does anyone know if there is a way round this?

• Re: Using multiple space character for text formatting in PIVision
          Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Paul

Unfortunately PI Vision replaces additional spaces which is relevant for most of the scenarios. To achieve desired functionality of having more spaces i would request you to create an AF attribute with string datatype and include additional spaces and add to your display as value and hide other properties in visibility section except value. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Lal

• Re: Using multiple space character for text formatting in PIVision
              Paul_Booth

Can't see how removing spaces that have been deliberately manually, inserted is relevant for any scenario. If I stick in spaces manually, then you can bet your bottom dollar that's what I want. If it really is the case that people are incapable of correctly typing in single space characters, or that for some reason someone pastes in a field with unwanted space characters, then that could be an option to be selected. These spaces actually exist (if I re-edit the field, there they are) - as I said - I really don't see why anyone would assume a manually entered text field should, by default, be messed about with! If something within the PIVision does this for any string it tries to render, then the text formatting functionality should be able to circumvent that (using &nbsp's perhaps). It seems rather more like a bit of lazy implementation!