AnsweredAssumed Answered

PI Vision custom symbols and XY Plots

Question asked by John Messinger Champion on Nov 20, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 20, 2018 by John Messinger

So I have a customer that has added a bunch of custom symbols (based on amCharts I believe) to their PI Vision installation. I'm seeing an odd behaviour that I can't explain, and will be the first to admit that I haven't really done anything with custom symbols as yet.

Seems that the custom symbols aren't enabled or accessible unless I modify the web.config file, specifically the following section under system.web:

<compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5" />

When this is set to "true" then I can see the custom symbols in the symbol toolbar, and any custom symbols that have been added to a display are visible. However XY Plots and Event Tables no longer work - any XY Plot on a display is completely invisible, and Event Tables display no event frames/

When this setting is "false", I see the reverse behaviour. I can't see the custom symbols in the symbol toolbar, and any custom symbols on a display are invisible. XY Plots and Event Tables work fine, are visible and show data.

PI Vision is 2017 R2 SP1, with PI Web API 2018. PI AF server is 2017 R2 Update 1 and local AF Client is 2018.

I've read what information I can find on custom symbols, and was of the impression that the above web.config setting was not explicitly required to simply enable the custom symbol. Happy to admit that this wasn't entirely clear to me at the time I read it and I could well be wrong on this count.

What am I missing here, and how do I make both custom symbols and the built-in XY Plot and Event Table all play nicely together? Is there something else in the web.config that I should be looking at?Appreciate any pointers on this.

John

Outcomes