10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 2:10 AM by Dr.Zhou

Processbook Visualization Ability

Dr.Zhou

Hello Everyone,

One of my engineer asked whether we could decorate our web viewing pages (PDI + ActiveView) following the nowadays fashion, which is showed as the attachment. I looked through my Processbook Drawing Toolbar without any clues to strengthen/beautify my ActiveView visualization.

Would anything within the "Drawing Toolbar -> Insert Control" be of help, or anything else I could follow?

I'm with PI 3.4, by the way.

Regards

ZYY

TIM图片20181201202623.png

• Re: Processbook Visualization Ability
          Asle Frantzen

Hi

I think you should be able to do this mainly by adding a nice background image to the ProcessBook display, and then add normal barcharts, trends and value symbols on top of that. The answer to your question on ActiveX controls is "yes" but then you'll have to find a good control to use or you'll have to develop it yourself.

Are you just using PI ProcessBook or have you started looking into PI Vision as well? It's probably better to focus on PI Vision these days, as all development efforts from OSIsoft's side are focused on that. ProcessBook probably won't get any new functionality. In PI Vision the custom symbols are created using Javascript, and here you have the freedom of using any visualisation library that you want. Examples of these include Highcharts, Amcharts, D3, etc.

Dr.Zhou

Asle, Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, there should be a nice backgroud image with a lot of barcharts on top of that. I was just wondering how could we apply symbols other than the barchart that PI ProcessBook offer, such as "bar graph + curve" ( i.e., on the right-top of my last attached image).

I realize there already be a lot controls within "Drawing Toolbar -> Insert Control", as enclosed. Are you guys ever utilize any of them to strengthen your ProcessBook visualization abilities? I'd like to know whether I'm following the road less travelled or not.

CTL.png

By the way, I notice that PI has developed itself to a pretty impressive level, but unfortunately I'm with PI 3.4 now, that I currently don't have access to those amazing technologies.

Best Regards

ZYY

TimCarmichael

For bar graph + curve, you can use overlapping objects that have the same x/y co-ordinates and size - set the background to 'None'.

I have used this technique to have x-y plots layered on top of each other.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    Asle Frantzen

I've created a few ActiveX components which have been added to ProcessBook the way you describe. For example a Load Duration Curve. After a control has been added to the ProcessBook display you can manipulate it using VBA code, and this allows you to "do magic" - as far as the end user is concerned

I do recommend the answer from Tim Carmichael below, btw. You need to get creative with the tools you have at hand, and perhaps use them in ways they were not intended.

Dr.Zhou

You're right, Asle. With the creation, we may dig more. ^_^

Your suggestion is very instructive. I realize the 2 kinds of symbols enclosed could also be fulfilled with current toolkit in hand.

CLEVER.png

As far as the ActiveX you mentioned, could I have a look at them. For instance, the "Load Duration Curve"?

Best Regards

ZYY

Asle Frantzen

Here is an example, this is made as a COM visible user control and is showing the number of hours each of the L1, L2 and L3 load have been at certain MW's, throughout a year.

Main transformers loading details.jpg

Instead of going this route, I would recommend you have a look at the WebBrowser control available in the controls dialog of ProcessBook. With that you are able to pull in any website, and if you rather create javascript-based solutions now you can keep using them later when/if migrating to PI Vision. Using VBA you can create the URL string to the visualisation web page, and display the contents related to the context of your display. This would be a "future ready" solution, something that works today AND tomorrow. The COM visible user control would need to be completely rewritten later, and is also much more complex to work with because of the older COM technology.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              Asle Frantzen

Yuyang Zhou wrote:

CLEVER.png

Another tip: For the vertical bar chart, you can use the polygon tool in ProcessBook and create an overlay over your bar charts. Create a "negative" of the bar chart, a box with holes for each of the bar sections in your picture above (you have 9 or 10 bar sections, it seems). Make sure the color is the same as the background color of your display, and send it in front of the actual bar chart. Then it will have the same appearance as each of the four charts on the right side of your picture.

Eugene Lee

Great discussion. Just wanted to remind everyone that the use of ActiveX controls will face problems when migrating to PI Vision. I would think that it is better to start on the right footing rather than do things the legacy way and face migration issues in the future when that technology gets abandoned. Just so you know, major browsers like Chrome and Firefox have already abandoned ActiveX.

4 of 4 people found this helpful