2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 8:36 PM by RyanBrown

Code Posting

RyanBrown

Hi VCampus,

I just wanted to highlight an issue I'm having with posting code and find out if I'm the only one.

Every time I've tried to post my code example it has not worked. I've tried in Firefox and also in Internet Explorer. Sometimes the preview looks okay and sometimes it doesn't. Regardless of this when I do the actually post it puts all my code on one line which looks horrible.

From what I can tell I'm not doing anything wrong. I simply hit insert code and paste my code it. Before pasting it in I paste into notepad and copy from there to make sure there are no strange characters.

I know it's been mentioned that there are some updates to VCampus and that looking at the code insertion is one of them. Do you know when this is happening? Is there any advice you can give when posting my code? Am I the only person to be having this problem?

On a lighter note thanks to the VCampus team for kindly editing my posts and fixing the code every time I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Re: Code Posting
          Ahmad Fattahi

Ryan,

Apologies for the odd behavior. Do you only have this issue with larger code snippets? What language do you choose when pasting your code? Can you try copying directly from IDE instead of Notepad to see if that makes any difference?

I rarely post anything as long as your code snippets; I choose C# all the time and I am always fine (check my blog posts for examples). I will follow up with our back end developers to see if there is a known issue/quick fix. In the meantime, if shorter snippets are handled properly maybe you can break your longer codes to a few consecutive short ones to work around the issue for now.

• Re: Code Posting
              RyanBrown

Hi Ahmad,

Yeah my posting are probably long but can't help that. Breaking it up I guess could work but not something I'm keen on. Keep it in mind though. Can't comment on smaller snippets as they are always large.

If it helps when I post and before I edit to fix I can see that it has "<br />" html in it.

C# is my language and what I use. Not tried the copy and paste from the IDE direct. Thought it was best through notepad. Will try it though.

In the mean time perhaps one of your kind team can format my code snippet for me. Been done in the past

Thanks,

Ryan