1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2012 9:17 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

Using Infragistics NetAdvantage together with PI Webparts

Asle Frantzen

We've been using Infragistics NetAdvantage 2006 (6.1) components within Sharepoint webparts on Sharepoint Portal 2003 and MOSS 2007, since appr. 2006. We've had different RtWebparts installed, until recently when we upgraded from RtWebparts 2.2 to PI Webparts 2010 R2.

When installing newer versions of Infragistics NetAdvantage, both 2012 and 2010, we've experienced some problems with PI Data Services - and files hosted in the RtWebPartResources. I can add a gauge webpart and configure it through "Modify shared webpart" but I cannot open tag search dialog to search for tags/assets.

Apparently, the OSIsoft webparts or their resources also uses Infragistics components (UltraWebNavigator and UltraWebTab I believe), and they've also used the same version as the one we have installed. Our partner at the time of the install - Omicron - most likely knew something vital here, being that we used the same version as the OSIsoft webparts

Looking in the GAC today, having PI Webparts 2010 R2 installed, I see some dll files from Infragistics with version 9.1 (i.e. 2009). As "luck" would have it, we have these three versions available from our client: 2008, 2010 and 2012. After having tried installing both 2012 (and uninstalled it), and 2010 (+ uninstall), I tried adding the two dll files necessary to my webparts project so they aren't put in the GAC but I still have problems. (Instead of the dll's being put in the GAC, they are put in the ASP.NET Temporary files) This is the error message I get:

Exception information: 

Exception type: HttpParseException 

Exception message: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\aa172ebb\532ced5d\App_Web_piassetsearchcontrol.ascx.2e89f8c8.kftdas4d.0.cs(703): error CS0433: The type 'Infragistics.WebUI.UltraWebNavigator.Level' exists in both 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\aa172ebb\532ced5d\assembly\dl3\4830e5d2\007a2d01_7e6bcb01\Infragistics35.WebUI.UltraWebNavigator.v10.3.DLL' and 'c:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Infragistics2.WebUI.UltraWebNavigator.v9.1\9.1.20091.2149__7dd5c3163f2cd0cb\Infragistics2.WebUI.UltraWebNavigator.v9.1.dll' 

I have googled the issue and this discussion thread has some information, but to me it seems that the solutions provided here would have to be done in the code of the PI Webparts rather than in my Sharepoint webparts project. It basically says to avoid naming directories "App_Web" or "App_Code" - but as you can see from the error the file name is "App_Web_piassetsearchcontrol.ascx.2e89f8c8.kftdas4d.0.cs" coming from the user control "piassetsearchcontrol.ascx" located in C:\Program Files\PIPC\RtWebParts

So my question would be - why can't Infragistics coexist in different versions on a Sharepoint server with PI Webparts installed?

• Re: Using Infragistics NetAdvantage together with PI Webparts
          Ahmad Fattahi

The problem should be that IIS is trying to load multiple versions of Infragistics into the same process.  It does that because the different versions have different full assembly names.  It looks to IIS like these are totally different assemblies. The problem occurs because the object names are the same for all versions of Infragistics.  So there is a namespace collision when IIS tries to instantiates the object.

Our current practice is to always include the latest version of the Infragistics controls we use, so that at least we'll work when other applications are using the latest versions.  We are not sure if there's a way to resolve this issue and continue using Infragistics controls in PI WebParts.  The long term solution for us is probably to migrate to using a different control. Hope this helps.