AnsweredAssumed Answered

Combining OPC UA templates

Question asked by tarnold on Feb 1, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 by gmichaud-verreault

We are adding new assets using the OPC UA connector from National Instruments for the first time.  I have the connector working but I'm trying to figure out if I can combine templates using the Data Access Filter File.

I'm collecting several values from a single asset (a gearbox for this example). The structure in National Instruments Insight CM(my OPC Server). Looks like this.

>Gearbox

++Bulk Oil Temp

++Exhaust Air Temp

>>Input Bearing Vib

++RMS

++True Peak

++ Crest Factor

>>>Velocity

++ True Peak

++ RMS

Without any modifications to the Data Access Filter file, I get a separate template in AF for each level of the tree (">").  In the example above I get three separate templates in AF with the default foldertype identifiers.  I'd like to modify the Data Access File and use the same template name to effectively combine all the values I'd like to see all the values for a gearbox in a single template.  So I tried:

Data Access File Edits:

x Gearbox   ns=2;s=Cooling Tower 6.Fan Gearbox.Exhaust Air Temp

x                        Value

x Gearbox  ns=2;s=Cooling Tower 7."Output Bearing Vib (Horiz.)"

x                         Crest Factor

x                         RMS

x                         True Peak

But rather than putting all the values into a single template called Fan Gearbox as I'd hoped, I get a template name "Fan Gearbox" but the second set goes into a template with the default foldertype name identifier (ie "OPC UA.FolderType.34244ADE").  I'm trying to keep my template clutter down and templates named in a more user friendly way.  Documentation says renaming of OPC UA Templates once they are created isn't supported.  Is there a way to fix this or accomplish it another way?

Outcomes