3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2019 2:31 PM by jillyt9904

Migrating to new VM followed by an upgrade

jillyt9904

I currently have a PI 2015 R2 SP1 machine on Windows 2008 R2 SP1.

I need to migrate this PI version to Windows 2016 Core then do an in place upgrade to PI 2017 R2.

Wondering if I *need* to create a new copy of the PI-AF database or can I run the 2 VMs concurrently both pointing to the same PI-AF database until I'm ready to take downtime and move over to the 2016 Core box?

• Re: Migrating to new VM followed by an upgrade
          Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Jillana

You can use single AF server and proceed with upgrade pointing two instances to single AF server. Would like to know if you are planning to upgrade your AF Server. If yes then would suggest to migrate AF server first then migrate PI server to new host running OS. If you are not planning to migrate your AF server then you can migrate PI server to new OS and do an upgrade to PI Sever 2018. PI Server 2018 support windows server 2016 core.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jillyt9904

Sorry I should have been clearer.  Since our AF Server is on the same machine as the PI Data Archive, I group them together as the "PI System".  So, I had hoped to have the old Windows 2008 server running PI-AF Server and PI Data Archive (2015 R2) and build the Windows 2016 Core server, installing PI-AF Server and PI Data Archive (2017 R2) but pointing them both to the PI-AF (2015) database on a separate dedicated SQL Server machine.  Since the SQL Server machine has already been recently updated, there was no need to build a copy of the PI-AF database if this migration process could allow both "PI Systems" pointing to the one PI-AF database.  After migration, the old PI System will be turned off and decommissioned and we will upgrade the new PI System to 2017 R2.  Thank you very much for your reply

Eugene Lee

You can have both AF Servers of the same version pointing to the same PIFD database. But once you upgrade, the schema of the database will change and only the updated AF Server will work with the database.