AnsweredAssumed Answered

[VBA ProcesBook] Referencing Symbols Inside Other Linked Displays?

Question asked by gfmalek on Mar 8, 2019

I have a ProcessBook file which contains many Entry objects, almost all of which are of the "Linked Display" type.  ( MsgBox Application.ProcBooks(1).Entries(integer) returns "2" ).

I would like to write code that can access symbols inside these linked display files, whose paths are contained as action strings for the ProcBook entries.  The problem is, I suspect these files are "independent display files", which according to the VBA Programmer's Reference, are not children of the ProcBook instance, but rather the Application itself.

The Application only recognizes displays as those .PDI files which are currently open.  So while my ProcBook file has hundreds of entries, "Application.Displays.Count" only equals two if I only have two displays open.

I would like to reference symbols inside these linked display files without opening them, but the Application parent object doesn't seem to allow that.  Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?  Also, what makes my display files "independent", the fact that they are linked displays instead of regular ones?

Outcomes