7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 6:34 PM by mtrimble

ProcessBook VBA and Notifications

nanderson

When the default Notifications addin for ProcessBook is not sufficient for a projects requirements,what are the options?

• Sort and color code the default addin with VBA?  could I do a custom sort and display coloring on the provided Notifications PB addin?
      • A Custom Table?  is the Notifications SDK usable by ProcessBook VBA? 
      • A custom .net addin?  Would there be any advantages to using a .net addin instead of VBA?

Has anyone out there done any custom visualizations for PI notifications in PB?

Secondly, for this particular project the end users want the alarms to be displayed within 5 seconds of the interface detecting a new snapshot value, do we know what the minimum delays are for A) PI notifications, and B) ProcessBooks. 

• Re: ProcessBook VBA and Notifications

What industry? How many Notifications have been configured?  What kinds of things are being monitored that requires a 5 sec response - almost as if in control as opposed to what you typically do with data in an information layer?

Notifications can be written to a DB  or a SharePoint List (see XML Delivery Channel examples) and then show with FlexGrid in PB  or Table WebParts to sort/color code etc.

Gopal's questions are interesting. Just to add to the technical aspect of the question, you could develop a .NET add-in for PI ProcessBook, using the AF SDK's PI Notifications capabilities. Because AF SDK is a .NET-based library, you cannot use it directly from VBA - best options are to develop a custom .NET add-in or use the "AF SDK Wrapper for PI ProcessBook".

There are various resources on vCampus (e.g. webinar, tutorial, sample) around creating .NET add-ins for PI ProcessBook, please let us know if you need help finding anything and do not hesitate to post back if you need further assistance.

nanderson

The industry is Pharma.  

This project is in the pilot phase, The alarms associated with this project are process centric, not equipment centric, so I would expect on average 50 alarms/unit and 20 units per PI server, so 1000 alarms.

The project is to show real time shop floor conditions on PC's and overhead displays throughout the manufacturing area.  There is no control involved, nor feedback to the control system, but because these displays are on the plant floor, quick response is a requirment.

Asle Frantzen

Nate,

I have created a .net addin which listens to notification-events and contact-events and updates the table whenever something occurs. All the columns are sortable and the state column has yellow or red background color based on the severity of the state/notification. This is based on notification states from two state groups (alarms and warnings).

It took me a few days to create, maybe some extra days if I didn't have the whole "create general .net addin" experience fresh in mind from a few other projects.

5460.notification_2D00_component.png

It's certainly accomplishable (sp?) to get this done within 4-5 days. (If you want I'm sure Amitec could sell the source code for this component for the amount of hours it took to create it. Let me know in case this is interesting)

Asle Frantzen

And another thing: the response time from the notification occurs until it's displayed is the same as when using either the Notification viewer in ProcessBook - or in PI System Explorer. I haven't done any scientific testings but it seems very responsive.

We use the component mainly in ProcessBook displays, but the component control can be added in other programs as well (excel for instance) and set up using VBA

nuser27

Hi Asle,

Your idea looks very great and we are also looking for similar thing to get incorporated into Processbook. We also trying to put Notifications messages into PI Procesbook in the tabular format.

Could you please send us more detail on the workdone and if possible do please share the code which u had already implemented the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Nuser

mtrimble

Nate,

The 5 second display time may depend on the network architecture and speed of transmission.  ProcessBook defaults to 30 second updates unless you modify the time to display immediately upon receipt of new information.  I have a couple of systems that need to record the data every second but by the time it is recorded and displayed it is usually 3 to 4 seconds to process it through the system before display in the ProcessBook unless you change the default settings.

Have you tried to use multistate symbols or displays for your data? these can give you the color change indication you are looking for without using notifications.