4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 3:43 PM by tlebay

Display management & multiple CoreSight instances

What are the plans for better display management within Coresight?  Right now I see the footprint is fairly small within Enterprises but I see it easily growing which could lead to information overload.  What I mean is, displays are either Private or Public, there is no intermediate or additional context.  First answer to this would be to have the ability to create groups of displays that are only shared within certain users rather than anyone using the Coresight instance - an accountant's view on Downtime is likely different to the engineer's view.  
      Another important context (that I am sure is coming) is Event Frames where a Display may have only been built relevant to a specific period of time.  So when searching for displays you may want to search by Displays that either occurred during certain Event Frames, or better still Displays that are somehow "attached" directly to such Event Frames.  Then let's say that the Event Frame which the displays are attached to is based on a Downtime Event Frame Template...when the new instance of the Event Frame is generated the displays attached to the previous EF are 'auto-attached' to the new EF.  I know you could do this (in the future) by saving the Event Frame to your cart then dragging it on to the display, but I am more concerned with filtering out time periods during the search for information. 

The same may be true of the reverse: You search for information, find some significant time period during your ad hoc analysis and need to generate an Event Frame directly from CoreSight, such as the lead up of events to the EF you are currently analysing.  You are not going to want to switch to another tool to generate the Event Frame based on the analysis you do in CoreSight.

My second thought for the morning is, what are the plans for being able to share displays (all displays / groups of displays / individual displays) across multiple instances of CoreSight within an Enterprise?  

• Re: Display management & multiple CoreSight instances
          tlebay

Some very interesting ideas. 

Display management and sharing are areas that we know we need to work on.  The screenshot below is a prototype of what we are thinking of for display management. 

6472.Display-Channels.png

In the prototype there are several system defined "channels" that displays are automatically grouped into.  The plan is to also allow user defined channels for more refined groupings.  To follow your example there could be an Accountant channel and an Engineering channel.  Individuals could go to the channel to find displays that are of interest to them.

The next release of PI Coresight will deliver what we call "related events", the first pass at support for Event Frames.  Similar to "related assets" that was added in the PI Coresight 2012 release; the system will automatically find Events based on the data items currently on your display and the time range you are viewing.  We will continue to add features to take advantage of Event Frames in future releases, so this is just the start.  For instance, the ability to create ad-hoc events from a PI Coresight display is one of the things we plan to enable in the future.

Thoughts on your "second thought of the morning"-  This would require every PI Coresight instance to be connected to every PI and AF Server so that it could render the data from any display.  I am afraid this might cause more problems than it solves.  The best way to deliver this is probably via a Software as a Service (SaaS) offering.  In this case multiple instances of PI Coresight become irrelevant.  What do you think about this possibility?

Thanks for sharing the prototype information, appreciated.  Looking forward to channel surfing CoreSight.  A couple of immediate comments:

1) It would be 'nicer', my opinion obviously, to have a carrousel control to flick through displays within a particular channel.  Might even take up less real estate. 

2) Within a particular channel it would be nice to search for an asset (AF Element) and in general search to see some statistics for how that asset is displayed with: i) Channels ii) Displays iii) Symbol Types, ...  It would be great to understand how the end business users choose to visualise assets and their data, especially in times of quick analysis.

3) CoreSight search should be able to restrict search criteria to within a channel.

4) I am quite interested to see a hierarchy of how a display was derived.  For example, was display B from User D created based on display A from User C.  To see what sort of collaboration is going on amongst a business for visualisation, especially for 'popular' CoreSight displays.  Not sure what logging of display changes you guys are tracking, haven't snooped through the CoreSight SQL database yet.

5) When we get to have Event Frames fully integrated in to CoreSight I imagine it would be useful to pick an Event Frame at the Channel level and have related event displays highlighted, and non related displays dimmed.  Just a UI/UX type comment...

mhalhead

Rhys@Wipro

1) It would be 'nicer', my opinion obviously, to have a carrousel control to flick through displays within a particular channel. Might even take up less real estate.

I'm not a fan of carrousels for this type of information. The reason being that it can become cumbersome if there are a large number of displays. A grid has the advance that you can see a number of displays at once and select the one you want with far fewer mouse clicks.

Grouping, searching and cleanup of displays will become a big issue as people start using this.

Starting with grouping:

1.  It would be nice to use categories to group displays. Displays could be in multiple groups. Users could then be give different rights on the different groups. e.g. user1 can edit group1 and view groups2 and group3, user2 can view group2 only.
                  2. Possibly use the AF categories for the groups?

Searching:

1. I agree with Rhys that displays should searchable on the assets they use. e.g. I could search for all displays that include pump1
                  2. It would be nice to search across Coresight servers. e.g. search all connect CS instances for all displays involving milling. The user would then jump to the coresight instance that has the display. This will introduce some complexities on indexing.

Cleanup:

As coresight becomes more used cleaning up of displays will become a big issue. I would like to see a few mechanisms for this administrative function:

1. It would be nice to create a rule that automatically moves dormant displays to a "recycle bin". A dormant display would be any display that hasn't been viewed in x amount of time. The administrator would then get a notification (via email?) telling them that y-displays have been moved to recycle and will be permanently deleted in z days. It must be possible to exclude a display from the auto-cleanup. Even better maybe send the notification to the display owner.
                  2. Provide a mechanism to find displays that have none existent assets or tags.
                  3. Provide a mechanism to find orphaned displays; i.e. displays that no longer have an owner (the owner has been removed from the system).

Cleanup:

Display authoring is another area I would love to see improved (I will only put in a few points as I could go on all day on this topic):

1. Most users would author displays in the same manner as they do now.
                  2. Power users would be able to author displays in a tool like ProcessBook and upload them to coresight. This does mean that CS will have support more symbols.
                  3. It would be wonderful if you could create more interactive displays; for example manual entry screen. Or screens that allow the users to create EF’s (and enter data directly into the event frame).
                  4. What I really see is CS becoming the repository for all the PI related displays. These displays could then simply be referenced in things like SharePoint or SAP’s portal. In my mind this would vastly simplify the landscape for both the administrators and OSIsoft.
                      tlebay

Searching:

1. I agree with Rhys that displays should searchable on the assets they use. e.g. I could search for all displays that include pump1

This functionality is available today as part of the integrated search.  You may want to turn on the tag and AF filters, so you only get display results returned.

1512.search1.png

You get a similar feature when you navigate the AF structure.  If the AF elements or attributes you are viewing in the search pane are also used in some displays those displays are also returned as part of the search result.

3857.search2.png

Starting with grouping:

1. It would be nice to use categories to group displays. Displays could be in multiple groups. Users could then be give different rights on the different groups. e.g. user1 can edit group1 and view groups2 and group3, user2 can view group2 only.

2. Possibly use the AF categories for the groups?

We will start using AF categories to group search results in the PI Coresight 2012 R2 release.  However, I don't think we will use AF categories to group displays.  We don't expect most PI Coresight users to have the training or security privileges to edit the AF DB with PI System Explorer.  It would also be cumbersome to require both tools just to group displays.  I expect users will create new channels in PI Coresight directly.  A user created channel could be made public so other users can see and add displays to the channel.  Keep a channel private for your own personal displays that you want to group.

Cleanup:

As coresight becomes more used cleaning up of displays will become a big issue.

I completely agree with this point.  We have identified this as an area that we need to work on, but thus far have deferred it in preference to adding more display capabilities.  I like the idea of "dormant" or inactive displays as a way to automate some of the clean-up.  We have also been doing some thinking about how to tackle this problem from the reverse angle- highlighting frequently used or high value displays.  We are thinking of ways to borrow from social networking sites to highlight displays that have been viewed by lots of people, or a particular user that seems to provide high value displays, or "trending" displays or data items as a way to help people collaborate.