AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using AFAttribute.SetValue (or Equivalent) to a PI Point Data Reference with only connection to AF server

Question asked by NateBergey on Apr 1, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2019 by rdavin

Using the AF SDK and the AF Client 2017 installed on the target machine, I am looking to write values to the PI Data Archive. With the current firewall configurations, I currently only have direct access to the AF Server through port 5457. I am nearly positive another installation using the same logic accomplishes this, but it is an older version of AF/AF Client (2016 I believe).

My first question is the below error message expected (with AF Server/Client 2017) when trying to read an AF Attribute that has a data reference of type PI Point, and no direct connection to the PI Server:

[10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

If so, is the same error expected with earlier versions of AF Client (if I instead use AF Client 2016) will I be able to read/write PI points though the AF Server? Can I use AF Client 2016 with Server 2017?

Are there other AF SDK calls that can accomplish what I'm looking for without requiring additional firewall changes (will take a long time to get additional ports opened up...).

If this is not expected behavior, any other permissions or security settings I need to check? Long term I can have the firewall ports opened however I'm looking for a quick fix if at all possible.

Outcomes