16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 8:55 PM by jyi

How to use PI Event frame

gajendra_konnur

Hi ,

I am exploring PI Event frame. I have configured below sample event frame as per the manual.

8255.af1.jpg

I have given two attributes under the event framework (I have linked these attributes to sinusoid and sinusoidu tags)

6646.af2.jpg

When I search for event, I got just below plane line. So I am just confused, how can I use this for the analysis ?? Means, In the OSI document ,its mentioned we can find out downtime/events etc.. how I can detect downtimes with this?

4403.af3.jpg

Thanks,

Gajendra

• Re: How to use PI Event frame
          tbrown

Hi Gajendra - thanks for the excellent questions!

In my test PI System I'm simulating some downtime events and temperature excursion events.  My downtime events have reason codes associated with them and the referenced element (asset).  Using this information, I would be able to perform pareto type analyses to determine which reason codes are most prevalent on different assets. 

5700.EF_5F00_DowntimeTable.jpg

For my temperature excursion events, I have the Type (which is always HIGH TEMP in this case) and I'm also calculating the maximum temperature for the excursion event and the temperature range for the excursion event.  I could use this data to see which of my temperature excursions were the worst and potentially correlate this with other information about a product or the equipment.  I could also use the start / end time of the event to help drive some root cause analysis as well. 

4278.EF_5F00_TempExcursions.jpg

Generally, the following slide (from our UC presentation) shows the high level types of analyses that customers will be able to use PI Event Frames for:

• Simplify Data Analysis - by viewing process data in the time context of your events
          • Perform Asset Comparisons - by aggregating different kinds of events per asset
          • Perform Event Comparisons - by comparing event attributes to one another or performing overlay trends
          • Discover Event Interrelationships - by viewing which events overlap with one another in time on the same asset.

5265.EF_5F00_Analysis.jpg

Now, you obviously can't do all this in PI System Explorer which brings me to our roadmap for PI Event Frames. 

• Very shortly we will have a beta available of the PI Event Frame Generator which will allow customers to automatically generate events from trigger tags in the PI Server.  We expect a release in a couple months.
          • We are also working on PI Data Access support (PI OLEDB Enterprise, PI JDBC, PI Web Services) for PI Event Frames.  This will enable customers to integrate this data in with other tools and systems to drive reporting, BI, and other use cases.  We expect a release in a couple months.
          • We are working in initial Event Frame functionality within PI Coresight right now which will enable customers to view event attributes and drive trend time context using event frames.  We expect a release in a couple months.
          • We're also working on EF support in most of our other products as well, so you'll continue to see more late this year and into 2013. 

I hope this gives you a little better insight into where we're at with PI Event Frames.  It's one of our top initiatives right now so stay alert for various announcements in the coming weeks and months!  If you want more info, check out our UC presentation:

http://www.osisoft.com/Templates/item-abstract.aspx?id=8168

Thanks,

Todd Brown

PI Event Frames Product Manager

skwan

Hi Gajendra:

As with most operations in AF, you really want to start with a template.  So I suggest you go to the Library and create an Event Frame template.  Call it Downtime if you wish.  Now within the EF template, create some attribute templates and configure them as appropriate.  Once the template is complete, check it in.  Now you can create a Event Frame based on that EF template and configure it to a "Referenced Element".  What this does is it would then tie the particular EF to a particular element.  As the number of EFs grow, you can then start searching for them and perhaps analyze them.  Here are some example screen shots from my test system:

EF Downtime template (this happens to come from the Heat Exchanger demo that comes with the AF Developer's Kit):

7288.1.jpg

Creating an EF based on the Downtime EF template and manually configuring it to have the HeatExhanger1 as the referenced element :

2664.2.jpg

I would suggest you install the Heat Exchanger and Chocolate Milk Factory demos that are included with the AF Developer's Kit.  When you create the AF databases using these two demo's, you would see a button to create some sample Event Frames for you to play with.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them.

gajendra_konnur

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply. I have just below doubts:

How do you added those TempMax and TimeRange columns ?

Does that mean it’s possible to get min/max/avg value of attribute for a given Time period in the event frame?

I can see below columns in my event frame :

8484.efrm.jpg

@Steve,

I just downloaded AF developer kit. Will explore the same.

Thanks

Gajendra

tbrown

Gajendra - yes, Event Frame attributes use the time context of the event to calculate min/max/avg/start/end values over the time period.  Here's an example.  

In my Excursions.High Temp Event Frame Template, I have an attribute named Temp.Max.  You can see the configuration here which calculates the maximum value By the Event Time Range.  The attribute syntax of .\Elements[.]|Temperature basically says use the Temperature attribute of my current Element (the primary referenced element of the Event Frame):

1423.EF_5F00_AttributeConfig.jpg

To show the attributes in the table, click on the double down arrow in the upper right side of the table, then click on Select Attributes.

2821.EF_5F00_TableSelectAttributes.jpg

Then select the EF Template you're using and you can then add attributes to the table using the arrows.  You can reorder the columns as well. 

5277.EF_5F00_TableSelectAttributes2.jpg

The table can show attributes from different templates as well, if they don't apply to a specific event frame, they will be blank.

3806.EF_5F00_TableResults.jpg

Hope this helps!

Todd

jfouquet

Hi,

Stephen Kwan mentioned is in reply a "Chocolate Milk Factory" example, but I was not able to find it on OSIsoft site.

I know this post is quite old but maybe someone can help?

Thanks

Regards