6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 10:30 PM by RJKSolutions

Panels & layout flows.

Any plans to add the ability to group CoreSight symbols onto a panel? (Similar experience to grouping apps on iOS.)  Then have the panels flowing (Horizontally or Vertically) on the canvas rather than the symbols themselves?  Have time ranges applied to a panel, and so on.

Do I remember hearing that we should be able to use absolute/grid positioning of symbols in the future?

• Re: Panels & layout flows.
          tlebay

Sorry, no plans to group symbols as you describe, but isn't a "display" essentially what you are describing as a “panel”?  It sounds like you are looking for a better way to navigate to a group of symbols, aka. a display.  I think the Display Channels feature we are working on will give the type of functionality you are looking for.  You will be able to add a display to one or more “channels” and then scroll/pan/swipe through the displays.

No plans to add a grid layout for PI Coresight.  We have decided to optimize PI Coresight for speed, ease of use, and keeping everything in view, rather than information density and graphical control.  All are valuable features but it is very difficult to deliver them all at the same time.  ProcessBook is obviously much better at creating a detailed graphical layout, but it lacks the fast and easy capabilities of PI Coresight.  We are working on ways to move between content created in ProcessBook or PI Coresight so that you can get the best of both worlds.

Here is the problem, there is no way (right now) to link from display to another to allow the separation of symbols to their own display instead of panels, or canvases within a single display.

Imagine you have a problem with a piece of equipment, that equipment has a logical separation of inlet & outlet that are both key for diagnosis.  You can just drop 10 value symbols on to the CoreSight display representing both inlet & outlet but that is too dis-organised IMO.  You should be able to drag a Value symbol on to another Value symbol and CoreSight knows (based on AF Categories) that the values are related and groups them with a label...within a panel.  Whenever I drop everything to work on a problem I still remain organised and struggle right now to keep CoreSight organised.

Same goes for seeing what everyone else has done with my display that I made public...I want to see how it is being used by others, how they modified it, ...

tlebay

Actually you can link from one display to another.  This is an area that we probably need to make more obvious, but if you drag a display from the search results onto the canvas it will create a clickable link to that display.  The image below shows 4 display links.  Using your example you could create a display for your equipment and then add a link to the inlet data, and another link to the outlet data, for instance.

6574.PI-Coresight-Display-Link.png

We are also doing some work using categories to help organize search results.  In the next release (PI Coresight 2012 R2, expected to release early October) attributes will be sorted by category the way they are in PI System Explorer.  You can click and drag a category group to add data items to a display instead of having to grab the entire asset or pick the data items one at a time.  The image below shows how this will look in the next release.  Again using your example data items for a piece of equipment could be added to the "inlet" and "outlet" categories.  With one click and drag you can add all the inlet data items to a display.

1411.PI-Coresight-Category.png

I know these features do not exactly meet the use case you are describing, but I think they will help and they are there now, or will be soon.  I will definitely keep your idea about creating related symbol "panels" in mind for a future release.  We are always looking for ways to make PI Coresight easier and more useful so please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks Tom.

Completely in the dark about linking displays, that does help!  Some display names & attribute paths are quite long so don't display well, any changes planned there?  Edit: My bad, again, you already have tooltips with full paths.

The Categories enhancement looks very good, looking forward to that.

Another tea break thought: any plans for providing statistics of how many users have the display open to prompt collaboration amongst users?  Hook in to to Office Communicator or similar - see list of users, right click "Reply with Instant Message" where subject = CoreSight Display name.  Or even a Twitter style feed, "@Rhys just changed DisplayABC and made it public.  See the changes here co.re/sight.d15plaY"

tlebay

We definitely have plans for more collaboration and "social media" type functionality in PI Coresight.  Some of our thought have included: "Trending" displays, "Following" another user, Most popular displays (based on likes), etc.

Tom LeBay

We definitely have plans for more collaboration and "social media" type functionality in PI Coresight.  Some of our thought have included: "Trending" displays, "Following" another user, Most popular displays (based on likes), etc.

+1 to that!

Trending assets would also be great, a social way of finding out which equipment has everyone's attention.

Any concept of adding a user as a friend, or more importantly a 'colleague' so that you collaborate with peers within the same discipline/department/location.