7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 8:58 PM by Lonnie Bowling

Sharepoint and PI Web Parts on iPad

Tfenn

Hi I saw in a thread that a demo was given back at UC 2010 of Sharepoint and PI Web Parts on iPad.

How was that acheived as iPad doesnt support ActiveX in Sharepoint? 

Was a 3rd Party iPad Sharepoint app installed ?

I have a number of already developed Web Part pages which we want to make available to our iPad users.

Thanks in advance - Tony

• Re: Sharepoint and PI Web Parts on iPad
          mwood

Well, not all PI WebParts require ActiveX, of course those that do cannot be displayed natively on the iPad.  The same case can be made for the PI WebParts that use the Adobe SVG Viewer.  I took a brief look through the UC 201o presentations, but did not find one that advertised SharePoint on the iPad.  Could you send me the reference?

We have had a few situations where the iPad used a version of RDP to remote into a Windows client and then run the IE browser.  Not sure if this is what was done in the referenced presentation, but I would be happy to dig into it.

For now, PI WebParts are not supported natively on the iPad.  Our next release, PI WebParts 2013, will be making significant progress towards platform and browser independence.  After that release, we will be adding additional platform and browser support as quick as possible.

Mike Wood

Product Manager

Tfenn

Mike

Read through this thread.  Showcase thread: Sharepoint status display page for Teekay Petrojarl FPSO vessels

It was not a UC presentation, but a OSI VAR - Borres who demoed something and apparently it looked really good.  

I would be happy to install an iPad 3rd party app which handles the ActiveX aspects (I use alot of PI Graphics web parts).

So it sounds like other users have found some solution, and I need something now.

Thanks if you can keep digging - Tony

mwood

Well...keep in mind that PI Graphic does not require ActiveX, it requires the Adobe SVG plugin.

Mike W

Tfenn

Ok , but Sharepoint itself uses alot of ActiveX and that is mostly what fails when trying to run in Safari or iPad Sharepoint apps that I've tried.

tlebay

Can't tell if it is SharePoint and PI WebParts that is important or just seeing real time PI data on an iPad.  If the later is true, we will be releasing a beta version of PI Coresight for the iPad later this year.

Tfenn

We are developing a lot of PI Web Part pages and need the 'feel of a 'regular web page' with its rich mixture of pictures, links, web parts and of course the PI Web Parts to deliver enough functionality of a management dashboard. PI Web Parts meets that requirement whereas for now, Coresight is too adhoc and not functional enough yet (with only values, gauges, trends and not configurable enough for formatting color and mixing with regular web functionality to deliver the same).  However many users want to access via iPads....  

Borre got back to me and suggested a Citrix Server environment with Citrix Receiver installed on the iPad.  We will try that option.

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the world of cross-platform integration.  The state of things right now are pretty bad and not looking to get any better anytime soon.  iPad support (and Apple's position) is that if it is not running on HTML  or native then we don't want it on our devices.  Microsoft is not far behind with the same thinking as far as browser support goes for mobile.  Things like Flash, Silverlight, and old school ActiveX are out.  HTML5 is suppose to be the answer.  Sharepoint 2013 is soon to be release and might work, as I think it is HTML5 based.  But older webparts like those from OSIsoft will have to be refactored.  I think I remember seeing something on the product road map.  So, yeah, as a workaround will need to do some magic, like a citrix server, to have any hope.

Lonnie