I'm developing application based on PI SDK for C++. For this purpose I would like to install PI Server. I have several questions regarding to PI Server installation and how client application communicates through PI SDK with PI Servers.
1) During PI Server installation process I got "MDB to AF synchronization" screen. I'm not sure, if I should answer yes/no. Will I need to run this synchronization process, when I install PI Server only fot testing PI SDK application purpose? Another choices are clear for me (start as service, create default points, ..) . I assume that I will need create/delete/read value of/write value of PI points.
2) Another question regarding to connection to PI Server. I found method GetItem(server_name) for collection spPISDK->GetServers(). How is PI Server name specified? I noticed that in my case PI Server name is hostname of my machine. What about case, when I got 2 instances of PI Servers on one machine? Is it possible to set PI Server name somewhere? I assume that PI Server instances will run on different ports, but what about their names?
3) Again regarding to GetItem method for GetServers() collection. PI SDK holds some kind of map of PI Server instances on the same network? When I install new PI Server instance on some machine in my local network, my PI SDK application (running on another machine) will be able to connect to this server through PI SDK without any setting or registration?
4) Regarding to runtime environment for my application. Try to imagine that I got "clear" WIndows XP installation. What I need to install for running my application? I mean from PI SDK point of view. I assume that I should install PI SDK software. That's all?
5) There two versions of PI Server in documentation, PI2 and PI3 Servers. What are differences between these two versions?
Thank you very much!